Monster Hunter G (Wii) English Translation Efforts

For general modding of 2nd Generation titles.
Adam
Ranger

Re: Monster Hunter G (Wii) English Translation Efforts

Post by Adam »

Skulrog wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:39 pm Wowowowow! That's some great progress! I'll throw your patch up on my game and check it out, I think there's cheatcodes somewhere that give access to multiplayer quests, don't know about event quests though.
I have been using the online quest cheat to test material names.

Adam
Ranger

Post by Adam »

Skulrog wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:43 pm From what I gathered the game has some cut and paste phrases that are used in weapon and armor descriptions. I'd tried translating a few of them, but the character limit and the cut and paste nature made it a bit tough. Got any suggestions?
I have been having trouble with most of the Japanese text being stuck encrypted do you know what I can do to be able to read it so I can modify it easier? I don't have the same issue reading Japanese text when editing G PS2.
Adam
Ranger

Post by Adam »

Adam wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 6:49 am I have made a few changes to your patch changing 173 item/material names were changed to follow a standard naming scheme, tweaked spelling while staying inside the limits of the pointers, and corrected incorrectly named materials (event quest materials, Lao materials, Fatalis materials, Kirin materials, and Crimson Fatalis materials had most of the errors).

I'm going to look at adjusting and fixing Weapon and Armour names next. Then hopefully a few spelling mistakes that you left in.

I'll include a link to my modified version of the patch https://drive.google.com/file/d/14vdv_d ... sp=sharing

I have been writing everything down that I have been changing https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
I have done some more work on the patch and have changed many weapon names to try and make them make more sense, removed overlapping weapon names, labeled Dev weapons as (Dev). Weapon names mostly follow the current translation for G PS2.

97 Weapon name changes done in this patch and 1 or 2 items names changed based on feedback.

Here is a link to the updated patch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hit-kq ... sp=sharing

Next Patch I will share should have updated armour and some quest names.
Skulrog
Greenhorn

Post by Skulrog »

Adam wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 6:35 pm
Skulrog wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:43 pm From what I gathered the game has some cut and paste phrases that are used in weapon and armor descriptions. I'd tried translating a few of them, but the character limit and the cut and paste nature made it a bit tough. Got any suggestions?
I have been having trouble with most of the Japanese text being stuck encrypted do you know what I can do to be able to read it so I can modify it easier? I don't have the same issue reading Japanese text when editing G PS2.
The first thing that comes to mind is ensuring you've got your hex edit set to Shift-JS encoding. If you're still having an issue there, try changing fonts. Are you on Windows? I know using wine on Linux to run some of these windows hex editors will give you a hard time when displaying Japanese characters. I switched to Linux almost a year ago now and had to do some finicky stuff to get Shift-JS properly displaying characters. Lots of different factors could be playing into it.
Discord Name: skulrog
Monster Hunter, Metal Gear, Minecraft, SMT, and many others.
Skulrog
Greenhorn

Post by Skulrog »

How are you referencing the MHG PS2 patch? Do you have the game open on your ps2, a text file? I'd love to help out some more to get it more presentable.
Discord Name: skulrog
Monster Hunter, Metal Gear, Minecraft, SMT, and many others.
Adam
Ranger

Post by Adam »

Skulrog wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:03 pm How are you referencing the MHG PS2 patch? Do you have the game open on your ps2, a text file? I'd love to help out some more to get it more presentable.
I have a patched copy of G PS2 extracted using tools from a few different people and referencing different parts from that patch and general knowledge from playing a few hundred hours of MHG on PS2 and using Platy's wiki to help search for specific information. I have been editing the game while having your patch open on the side to double check. I then change a few things repack the iso and test it.
Adam
Ranger

Post by Adam »

I'll post the new English patch here under the original thread but it can also be found on the MH Oldschool discord

https://drive.google.com/file/d/196Af36 ... sp=sharing

Highlights of the new patch are
- Changed all item names (again)
- Changed all weapon names
- Changed all armour names
- Changed all status messages
- Updated settings menu translation (main menu and quest settings)
- Updated armour skill point names
- Updated armour skill names
- Updated weapon status screen
- Updated armour status screen
- Updated bowgun ammo status screen (ammo is no properly lined up now)
- Combo menu is translated
- Character creation is translated
- All quest names have been translated (new subspecies quest names, G Wii displays subspecies quests with different names)
- All quest objectives have been updated (subspecies are listed separately, they are listed separately in Japanese)
- All quest descriptions have been updated (new subspecies quest descriptions as well)
- All Gallery cutscenes have been translated (4 of them need pointers updated)
- FMV cutscenes have been fixed to work properly on console and emulator
- Start menu text has been updated (only in quests for the time being) (Abandon Quest text is messed up for the time being)

And if you find any mistakes please message me!

For this patch I had to start from scratch on a lot of the translations due to broken pointers for the FMV cutscenes. Yuzucchi was a huge help with this making an amazing tool to help edit quests, weapons, armour, and item names with adjusted pointers.

Return to “Modding”