Monster Hunter G (Wii) English Translation Efforts

For general modding of 2nd Generation titles.
Skulrog
Greenhorn

Monster Hunter G (Wii) English Translation Efforts

Post by Skulrog »

Intro
Monster Hunter G for the Nintendo Wii released exclusively in Japan on April 23, 2009. Not just a simple copy paste of the Japanese PS2 exclusive released four years earlier, this version introduced some impressive quality of life improvements like native widescreen support, PSP style controls, Poogie item collection, and more. Information on this game has been very scarce in the west, and requests for an English fan translation have largely gone unanswered, though there is evidence of efforts to translate the game as early as July of 2009, only three months after the initial release. My goal here is to document what info can be found about these translations and help others find them so they can enjoy the game.

Basic Research
The earliest evidence of an English patch that I've found is on Reddit, thanks to user bencara65. Link
Spoiler
bencara65
2 yr. ago
edited 2 yr. ago
"There was a beta patch made by Dagarath, a user of Minegarde forums, I found years ago. Here you'll find how to patch your main.dol (in the data1 folder of your japanese game) : mhg-t_v0.3.ppf ( https://1fichier.com/?4utb1z9g35u8d00lva89 ) pdx-pom3.zip ( https://1fichier.com/?dmteazcdo9f8zlm9fgr9 ). If you want more info, don't hesitate to PM."

2 yr. ago
'Source : http://forums.minegarde.com/index.php?s ... 622&st=255 "QUOTE (dagarath @ Jul 12 2009, 01:49 PM)The patching is going to be done directly to the main.dol I will release a .ppf file, use ppf-o-matic and trucha to extract the main.dol from the iso, and apply the patch, then replace the original main.dol inside the iso, resign it, and burn it (or put it on a USB device, I don't have a USB device to test with tho)"'
All the 1fichier files have been removed due to inactivity, and the Minegarde link is obviously dead, with no wayback archive.
All of the other mentions of an English patch that I could find do not cite dagarath as the author. With the loss of Minegarde, I was only able to find possible clues. A promising one was the Dagarath Twitch channel, active as early as 10 years ago, with some Monster Hunter World streams only 5 years ago. Seeing there was a discord link I joined and after a few days the one and only dagarath responded.
Spoiler
So yeah, seems he created the patch back in the day, but since moved on. Dagarath's been working on a game for a long time, but little time and real world commitments have kept him from much gaming or developing. I'm glad we are able to find this guy, giving credit is important.

Present-Day Efforts
Despite the inactivity and low demand, the basic English patch has survived to the current day, and there have been a few minor updates made by various people along the way. I made a small update to the patch to replace the janky English which is available on the MH Oldschool discord as a pinned message in the mh-projects thread. Link

There's also a user on gbatemp who claims to have made an improved patch, Mr. Benjamin, though he never uploaded it due to low demand. He's not posted since 2017 however, and was last seen in 2022. Link

Another user on romhacking.net was working on a translation and hit a wall with pointers (that's the wall I'm at too xD). Link

Outro
And that just about concludes my current research on the topic. I would love to hear any questions, suggestions, corrections, contributions, or other feedback (including feedback about my writing and formatting), and this should not be considered a complete guide. Feel free to reply here or reach out on discord.
Discord Name: skulrog
Monster Hunter, Metal Gear, Minecraft, SMT, and many others.

Return to “Modding”