opinions on layered armors and ways to implement them?

A place to discuss anything related to the Monster Hunter universe, our project, or this forum itself (for example, suggestions). Please, for talks about specific games use the appropriate sections.
pepesito1
Ranger

opinions on layered armors and ways to implement them?

Post by pepesito1 »

i personally really dig them and i loved the way they made it in MH generations; i had to grind so many god damned hyper silver raths and hyper deviljhos to create duplicates of their armor pieces, so then i could attach new layered armors to them. i like it being grindy
Mexican, eng/esp ok, 19 years old, huge xenoblade, ace attorney, half life and monster hunter nerd
In life there are hunters, and then there are monster hunters.
Azelkun
Greenhorn

Re: opinions on layered armors and ways to implement them?

Post by Azelkun »

Saying that i love them would be a huge understatement.
They're one of my favorite aditions to the saga alongside endemic life and turf wars, i love that i can wear the type of armor that i visually love the most while keeping my comfort set, that applies to the layered weapon as well. :D
My favorite way Capcom implemented it is in Sunbreak, it's just perfect how you just have to have a ticket, some materials and presto: you can have that armor! :lol:
Azel, The Hermit of the Mosque
Spanish/English
Playing since Freedom 2 onward
Lore wormbook and Hammer fan
Ellie
Greenhorn

Post by Ellie »

I dislike that they make armors feel less like actual objects with physical traits. Kinda feel like I shouldn't be able to wear uragaan armor without looking clunky tbh

I still use it though cuz I'm a hypocrite lul
WillowCatkinsMaria
Greenhorn

Post by WillowCatkinsMaria »

I prefer Sunbreak’s version because I just do not like Hyper Silver Rathalos, that’s it, fuck that son of a bitch.
Willow is the kitty cat ever she is babie dearest <3 <3 <3

Velvet in MHGU

Lotus in Sunbreak
WillowCatkinsMaria
Greenhorn

Post by WillowCatkinsMaria »

Ellie wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:04 am I dislike that they make armors feel less like actual objects with physical traits. Kinda feel like I shouldn't be able to wear uragaan armor without looking clunky tbh

I still use it though cuz I'm a hypocrite lul
My rec is to try using the layered system to accomodate your Uragaan armor’s vibes!!! In GU, I used ancient armor and Loc Lac Shawl to make a blend between the alikeness of Lao’s arms and the Ancient waist and legs to meld it into a rigid, ancient vibe for the Najarala hunting horn.
Willow is the kitty cat ever she is babie dearest <3 <3 <3

Velvet in MHGU

Lotus in Sunbreak
AmyRoxwell
Ranger

Post by AmyRoxwell »

WillowCatkinsMaria wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:29 pm I prefer Sunbreak’s version because I just do not like Hyper Silver Rathalos, that’s it, fuck that son of a bitch.
I prefer the rise/sunbreak system, being able to had fashion armor without having drawbacks but also not having to grind the hardest monsters 900 times just feels better, it actually makes me want to collect more armor just so I can do combination while under it I had something beefy!!
MH Dos Enjoyer (She/Her), trying to become a Master on all weapons,
Certified Member of the Navirou's Love Club
Lori
Greenhorn

Post by Lori »

bluntly i'd rather this be a feature in every single game with the most accessible and flexible implementation possible
Captain of Navirou's Love Club (They/Them)
MH2/MHF Dual Blade fanatic
MH1 Greatsword apologist

PFP and signature BG by @Fawxhead on Twitter!
BabyRath
Greenhorn

Post by BabyRath »

I like how GU does transmog and requires a lot of farm, making fashion it's very own goal rather than something on the side. I'm especially a fan of how the deviant armors are unlocked. The EX quests might be a bit too extreme but I'd like to see layered armor implementation evolve in this direction in the future, where you have to complete a daunting task related to the monster you want the layered armor of to unlock it. I've got my fair share of ideas on how to try but i'm no video game dev
Guild Card Awards Enthusiast

Rune
Greenhorn

Post by Rune »

my honest favourite solution to this problem is how mh1 does it, which is that armor and armor skills just aren't that important so you don't need a layer of separation between mechanics and cosmetics. just build the armor you want to wear.

i guess this is technically true for every game after mh1 as well, but it always comes with a chance of getting flamed online because you're so badly suboptimal. that's the consequence of making builds seem important, regardless of how important they really are (shrug)
MH1 HR20
they/them
mi wile toki pona
Derokuto
Greenhorn

Post by Derokuto »

Fashion really is one of the things I enjoyed more in Sunbreak, it was really accesible at least compared to Iceborne and I was really happy mixing sets and making my hunter look good. Though I think it was a little too easy maybe? On the other hand I really prefer this way to Iceborne, there I didn't even get one set of layered armor in 400 hours I think :lol:
In-Game: Illyana
Spanish/English
Played through World/Iceborne and Rise/Sunbreak fully, looking to experience old school MH!
Certified Insect Glaive enjoyer

Return to “Tavern”