[MEGATHREAD] The Hunter's Encyclopedias

Unleash your inner scholar and immerse yourself in the obscure lore of Monster Hunter!
Lutyrannus

[MEGATHREAD] The Hunter's Encyclopedias

Post by Lutyrannus »

Hunters,

This is a megathread I'm creating to post any and all interesting information pertaining to the "Hunter's Encyclopedias," Which were Monster Hunter lorebooks released with many Monster Hunter games. In total, there are five Encyclopedias, including:
  • Hunter's Encyclopedia
  • Hunter's Encyclopedia 2
  • Hunter's Encyclopedia G
  • Hunter's Encyclopedia 3
  • Hunter's Encyclopedia 4
The first Encyclopedia covers information from the first game, including three main sections, "world," "monsters," and "equipment."

The second covers information from MH2, with little bits of new information revealed in MHG and MHP as well. It has the same three sections as above but with completely different information.

Encyclopedia G is a compilation of the above two encyclopedias, with some extra information pertaining to the world of Portable 2nd G. However, it is not a full compilation - it does not include the "equipment" sections from Encyclopedia I & II.

Encyclopedia 3 covers information from MH3.

There is an "Encyclopedia Reprint" that is both Encyclopedia G & 3 compiled into one book as well, but this has no extra information, and is literally just two books bound into one spine.

Finally, there is Encyclopedia 4, which covers information from MH4 (maybe MH4G as well, I'm not sure when it released).

These books are all meant to be real, in-universe books in the Monster Hunter universe, written by an organization called the "Royal Paleontological Scriveners" that operates out of the West Schrade Kingdom, specifically in the Royal Academy of Sciences. Because the Schrade mainland is such a peculiar place, with no monsters at all, at as such little need for monster hunting, the books may seem odd when you first read them, because they view the world beyond the frontiers of their nation in a very peculiar way. Regardless, I think that they are a good read for anyone who is interested, but it requires knowledge of Japanese or extensive use of translation software (such as Jisho, Google Lens, or RomajiDesu).
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
pepesito1
Ranger

Re: [MEGATHREAD] The Hunter's Encyclopedias

Post by pepesito1 »

is this where the constantly debunked ultimate dragon weapon comes from? :roll:
Mexican, eng/esp ok, 19 years old, huge xenoblade, ace attorney, half life and monster hunter nerd
In life there are hunters, and then there are monster hunters.
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

pepesito1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:51 pm is this where the constantly debunked ultimate dragon weapon comes from? :roll:
"Constantly debunked" might be a bit of an overstatement.

It doesn't really "come from" here, but it is the first place it was ever shown. It's shown in a section of "local legends" and such. It's essentially contextualized as an in-universe legend/myth. Most of the things in that section are all concept art, but they repurposed them as things that "exist" in the universe in the sense that many people know about them, and discuss them, but whether or not they're historical is up for debate.

I choose to view Equal Dragon Weapon like the Trojan Horse in our universe - a legendary weapon that likely is based on something historical, but the historical thing was not at all how the legend is remembered. Many historians speculate that the real Trojan Horse was actually a horse-themed battering ram of some kind, the memory of which was then warped through time into a literal giant wooden horse. Obviously we'll never know.

Equal Dragon Weapon is "canon" insofar as it's featured in a canon book. But that canon book does not state "this is a real weapon that existed," it states "this is a drawing of a weapon that someone described to me once that may exist or may not," essentially. Paraphrasing greatly, I'd have to check it again to remind myself what it actually says.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
pepesito1
Ranger

Post by pepesito1 »

do any of the books explain what the dragon element is
Mexican, eng/esp ok, 19 years old, huge xenoblade, ace attorney, half life and monster hunter nerd
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

pepesito1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:08 pm do any of the books explain what the dragon element is
I haven't done research on that topic, so I'm not sure. My specialty is with the culture and society of this universe moreso than the science, but I dabble in all things lore related. In short I have no fucking clue lol

I can tell you that dragon was not really a "substance" until third gen, or at least it never appears in breath attacks until then.
pepesito1
Ranger

Post by pepesito1 »

brother if i could show you how surprised i was when i learnt that almost all of tigrex's attacks in freedom unite did dragon damage and there was 0 way of knowing this visually (also kushala daora did this)
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

pepesito1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:33 am brother if i could show you how surprised i was when i learnt that almost all of tigrex's attacks in freedom unite did dragon damage and there was 0 way of knowing this visually (also kushala daora did this)
I mean, it makes sense in Japanese, where all monsters are considered "dragons" (ryū).

In first gen it's clearly a property inherent in the strongest dragons attacks. The game tells you about monsters called "dragons," and there's an attribute of damage called "dragon," so it's pretty obvious that they'll deal this damage. Even in Japanese they distinguish between wyverns ("flying dragons") vs dragons (just "dragon"). So the only wyvern to deal any dragon damage is the big bad Rathalos, and only on one attack, his divebomb.

Meanwhile second gen adds "Elder Dragons" as a distinctive type of monster, or "ancient dragon" in Japanese. So we have flying dragons, ancient dragons, and so on. It's definitely a bit more arbitrary about which ones have dragon attack inherent within them. It makes sense for the Elder Dragons in particular to do dragon damage, since they use the same kanji as the damage attribute does for the word "ryū." So only the most powerful wyverns deal dragon, and most dragons do.

Plus this makes monsters like Tigrex feel that much more dangerous. I have yet to play Freedom 2 or Unite, but one thing I can tell is that people who have played it, were terrified of Tigrex. And part of this is definitely helped by his attacks hurting a lot, and for a reason that many people might not even realize.

All that being said, I understand why they turned dragon into a physical substance and breath attack in 3rd gen.
Yuliri
Greenhorn

Post by Yuliri »

Just a question where we can get this books?
Grender
Admin

Post by Grender »

Yuliri wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:08 pm Just a question where we can get this books?
Second hand stores basically, they were released in Japan only.
Server Admin & Developer — Want to support my work? https://ko-fi.com/grender

MH1: Aeryx, HR20 · MHG: N/A · MH2: Grender, HR12
Yuliri
Greenhorn

Post by Yuliri »

Grender wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:16 pm
Yuliri wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:08 pm Just a question where we can get this books?
Second hand stores basically, they were released in Japan only.
Ok thanks (I just realise that i am a bit stupid because luty say it)
Reject humanity and become a TrUe hArDcOrE g@mEr cOmPlEtIoNiSt 8-)

Return to “Lore”