[About the Ancient Tower Location]

Unleash your inner scholar and immerse yourself in the obscure lore of Monster Hunter!
Schrade Academy
Greenhorn

[About the Ancient Tower Location]

Post by Schrade Academy »

After seeing some confusion about the Tower location (of it being located in Forlorn or in the Jungle) a few months ago, i made this to clear some misunderstands about it's location in the world.

I sent this to Banned Dino and Lutyrannus a while ago, and as well posted it on my own community tab on Youtube.
Since this is a place with the focus on archiving info about the series, i thought that would be interesting to share it here too.

About the Ancient Tower

The Info about the Tower in MHFU is actually from MHF2, and as you guys know, both games were made and launched in different years.
MHFU is from 2008 and MHF2 is from 2007.
Also, Frontier was launched in 2007, after MHF2 being released.
(Image from F2 below by @SirMalckyorHawke )

And the map of the Great Forest exclusive from Frontier at time (later coming to MHFU) was yet to be developed by the time that text was written.

So by the time the tower was discovered and the book was written, the area around it was unknown. Also, if you check the writing of the japanese original in MHF2 you will see that the spelling is the same as the Jungle map we have acess in the second generation. (First picture below by BannedDino on Twitter)

In the story of MH2, the Jumbo hunter tracks the tower location with the help of the elder dragon observation team, to face against the Lunastra on the tower. For that he needed to find the pieces of the old tower book in three places: With the Jumbo Felyne Vendor, buried in the Jumbo Mine and trading with the Jungle Veggie Elder.
With Jumbo being located near the Jungle, you can notice that everything is very connected.

Tthe Jungle have a lot of remnants of the ancient civilizations, which the encylopedia 2G written by the scholars especulated that is who made the tower.

If you look closely to the ruined structure in the little island that became inacessible during the night, you can see the remnants of what looks like a fallen bridge.

If you check the world map, and trace the way to the East (the direction of the debris) you will see that it matches the location of the tower.

You can see that it is even logical. Because it is said that is a enormous building that pierces the sky.
It’s kind of odd that no one seen something so big if it was located right next them.
In MH2 we also now that the tower was located right in the “Edge of the World”.
It explains why it was needed the Elder Dragon Observation Team with their ballons to actually find the land across the sea (that it was in the past connected to the Telos Jungle).
And only years (and 2 games) later, that we would know more about the area around it, with the Great Forest being showed to us.

Hope that you guys like it and it helps clear these misunderstandings!
Last edited by Schrade Academy on Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Monster Hunter Lore and Worldview Researcher
Hunter from Pokke since 2011
Youtube Channel (BR): Schrade Academy

Lutyrannus

Re: [About the Ancient Tower Location]

Post by Lutyrannus »

Oooo, nice, I'll give this a read later and probably send it to some folks.

I gotta say, the nicest part about having a forum over a Discord, is that I can actually link people shit without expecting them to have a Discord account and join a specific server.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
Schrade Academy
Greenhorn

Yeah it is very nice to me too!
I can finally post things in english in a very organized way and link it to people too ^^

It is basically the same that i sent to you a few months earlier, but i adjusted the messages to be in a more "document" format instead of messages XD

Malckyor
Greenhorn

Post by Malckyor »

Tower is one of my favorite maps and it's always interesting to investigate those infos about the game, congrats for the post, I hope more hunters can share their finding too, lore is always a cool thing to discuss.
Seeking the horizon, hearing the wristling of the wind, a cloak on my sholders, adventuring above and beyond.
Pursuing me is not wise but it's a choice you have...
Seagifts
Greenhorn

Post by Seagifts »

That could actually explain why yama tsukami can appear on the jungle passing by, as its probably just on its way to the ancient tower map :o .
Schrade Academy
Greenhorn

I'm glad that the post could be interesting!

I agree with you Malck, the lore of the series is one of the nicest aspects of the game (in my opinion of course) and i would love to see more people talking and sharing more info about it in the future ^^

Seagifts, that is a nice catch!
The Yama passing trough the Jungle on it's way to the Ancient Tower is something that is most likely to be true XD
It is an amazing little detail that really helps in creating a more immersive atmosphere in the game!

TripleCartographer
Greenhorn

Post by TripleCartographer »

I was wondering if you had a place the images are posted. They've broken since posting and I'm working on a map for a TTRPG
Xika
Greenhorn

Post by Xika »

Schrade Academy wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:19 pm I'm glad that the post could be interesting!

I agree with you Malck, the lore of the series is one of the nicest aspects of the game (in my opinion of course) and i would love to see more people talking and sharing more info about it in the future ^^

Seagifts, that is a nice catch!
The Yama passing trough the Jungle on it's way to the Ancient Tower is something that is most likely to be true XD
It is an amazing little detail that really helps in creating a more immersive atmosphere in the game!
...!!!
Schrade Academy
Greenhorn

TripleCartographer wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:00 am I was wondering if you had a place the images are posted. They've broken since posting and I'm working on a map for a TTRPG
Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! I reuploaded the images on imgur!
Hopefully that will fix things... If they became broken again, feel free to check my channel on my bio in the community tab, i posted the images there too!

Eremital
Greenhorn

Post by Eremital »

Seagifts wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:01 pm That could actually explain why yama tsukami can appear on the jungle passing by, as its probably just on its way to the ancient tower map :o .
Oh wow I didn't even think of this connection at all, and the fact that tower comes back with Sunbreak, which brought back the jungle too!
(they/them) Artist and proud Lance and Hunting Horn main

Return to “Lore”