Anyone else miss demo discs?

The place to discuss ANYTHING not related to the Monster Hunter universe. Please, keep politics, religions, and any controversial topic out of this section.
Lutyrannus

Anyone else miss demo discs?

Post by Lutyrannus »

I just saw Scott the Woz's demo disc video pop up on my YouTube recommended, and it gave me a nostalgia bomb I didn't know that I needed. They're obviously obsolete in the modern era - but did anyone else have demo discs?

I remember I had a Dreamcast demo disc back in the day - I think it came with the console. That was a classic.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
Dewqu
Greenhorn

Re: Anyone else miss demo discs?

Post by Dewqu »

We had something in that vein for sure, mostly came with magazines back in Poland, it was usually one full low budget game, and a couple demos sometimes for other small games sometimes for bigger releases, they were cool.

Lots of games I otherwise would not have played, still trying to dig up some of those magazine games i can vaguely recall, with little luck :(
Clearly the best hunter around, will upswing you
MH1JP HR15
Random Dude
Greenhorn

Post by Random Dude »

I miss demo discs a lot myself. I still remember getting the demo disc of final fantasy 12 from my Dragon Quest 8 purchase. Great memories of that which ended up me getting the game and having a great time with it.
My honest reaction to your post.
Grender
Admin

Post by Grender »

They were very cool, I still have some PS2 demo discs. Usually they came as a gift when buying videogame magazines and contained multiple demos in one disc. Honestly I spent countless of hours playing them in a time where buying several videogames per year was not a common thing to do for many families.
Server Admin & Developer — Want to support my work? https://ko-fi.com/grender

MH1: Aeryx, HR20 · MHG: N/A · MH2: Grender, HR12
Jo_
Greenhorn

Post by Jo_ »

Demo discs were the bomb. I had all 3 Pizza Hut PS1 demo discs and I put a ton of hours into them as a wee child. I absolutely loved it when games like Soulcalibur 3 came with demo discs; I'd pop those bad boys in before even playing the actual game. Digital demos are much more convenient but they just aren't the same. (I could extrapolate that sentiment to digital gaming in general but that's a different topic.)
‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎Image
gandalfsoda
Greenhorn

Post by gandalfsoda »

I think i had a demo disc for the game ICO. i'm not sure where it went, in all honesty. I believe there were more demo discs we had, but i was so young i cannot remember.
She/Her. Avid fan of MHTri and others. Ruby ingame in MH1JP, MH2, and MH3.
Excylis
Greenhorn

Post by Excylis »

I still have a folder somewhere, mostly PSX and Xbox discs. There used to be a newsagent's on the way home from school and they'd sell the demo discs from magazines separately for 50c-$1, I'd pick them up all the time!
Azelkun
Greenhorn

Post by Azelkun »

A bit, i used to play them when i was very young alongside a few complete games i had back in the day a lot of times since they were so short.
I kinda miss the more "physical" era when there were videogame magazines, demo discs and the digital format was still a dream in development to be honest.
Azel, The Hermit of the Mosque
Spanish/English
Playing since Freedom 2 onward
Lore wormbook and Hammer fan
Rune
Greenhorn

Post by Rune »

after about an hour of searching, i have located the demo disc i remember playing as a kid:

according to pcsx2wiki, this disk contained "MLB 2006, Robots, Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, EA Sports Fight Night Round 2, Madagascar, Stolen, Lego Star Wars: The Video Game, [and] Juiced". the only games I remember playing from this list were Madagascar and Stolen, though (I had Lego Star Wars on a not-demo-disc, anyway).

i think these are badass, post your demo discs here
MH1 HR20
they/them
mi wile toki pona
Nayru
Greenhorn

Post by Nayru »

I didn't get many demo discs, but what I do remember is bringing my PS3 into town once every two weeks when we stayed with my aunt (I lived too far out in the country to get high speed internet) and LOADING that sucker up with demos off the Playstation store, to keep me busy for the next two weeks. Since I only had like 3 games for it for a long time. So I guess in a way that is sort of like a demo disc!

PC games in cereal boxes was amazing too, I got Roller Coaster Tycoon and Sim Safari that way.
Desperately searching for my edgy mid-00's shadow the Hedgehog siggy, to no avail

Return to “Off-Topic”