Random Small Basic notes about Rathalos

Anything related to the game can fit here.
FeatherFox
Greenhorn

Random Small Basic notes about Rathalos

Post by FeatherFox »

You struggling to kill Rathalos? You and many people have walked this path, and I am here to offer a few tips

First of all, his behavior.
On the ground, he has two patterns
Two slow turns toward you typically means a fireball
Two fast turns towards you means a charge (though depending on distance he may just divebomb at you instead)
Rathalos can never hit you with a divebomb if you are behind a wall from the direction of his divebomb (don't be in an exposed direction)
Rathalos cannot hit you with his fireballs or his poison claws in the air if you are directly underneath him
His two times tail swing spin in a circle thing has no warnings but is fully safe underneath him
And I think that's all? I can't remember anything else about him.

Idk I just wanted to post these somewhere, it's been in my memory for who knows how long. Maybe I'll post about more monsters like this if I feel like it.
Remember when signatures used to take up like a million lines and took forever to scroll through?
I had one of those. || 5000+ hours using a Greatsword across all titles. AMA about the weapon.
pepesito1
Ranger

Re: Random Small Basic notes about Rathalos

Post by pepesito1 »

does anyone know what happens when he starts flying at like a 45 degree angle what causes it
Mexican, eng/esp ok, 19 years old, huge xenoblade, ace attorney, half life and monster hunter nerd
In life there are hunters, and then there are monster hunters.
FeatherFox
Greenhorn

Post by FeatherFox »

pepesito1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:29 am does anyone know what happens when he starts flying at like a 45 degree angle what causes it
Wdym at 45 degrees exactly
Remember when signatures used to take up like a million lines and took forever to scroll through?
I had one of those. || 5000+ hours using a Greatsword across all titles. AMA about the weapon.
Grender
Admin

Post by Grender »

That reminded me that I always hated when he lands at out of bounds parts of the map, the scale between him and the background is very weird and it instantly shuts off my immersion.
Server Admin & Developer — Want to support my work? https://ko-fi.com/grender

MH1: Aeryx, HR20 · MHG: N/A · MH2: Grender, HR12
Derokuto
Greenhorn

Post by Derokuto »

Is there any other window to flash Rathalos while he is flying :?: I only got him down in area 6 of forest and hills from up just outside the nest entrance, I've tried with no success to flash him while he is starting his 1 minute merry go round flying routine
In-Game: Illyana
Spanish/English
Played through World/Iceborne and Rise/Sunbreak fully, looking to experience old school MH!
Certified Insect Glaive enjoyer
pepesito1
Ranger

Post by pepesito1 »

sometimes the rathalos flies sideways like he is a little neurodivergent
Mexican, eng/esp ok, 19 years old, huge xenoblade, ace attorney, half life and monster hunter nerd
In life there are hunters, and then there are monster hunters.
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

Grender wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:26 am That reminded me that I always hated when he lands at out of bounds parts of the map, the scale between him and the background is very weird and it instantly shuts off my immersion.
It depends a lot on the quality of your screen, lol. I think he was intended to look like he's landed on the ground beneath the cliff, lol. Still whack
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

One thing I have noticed that many people don't realize is that Rathalos zones in a very predictable fashion. He almost always goes to the same place when leaving from a particular zone.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
FeatherFox
Greenhorn

Post by FeatherFox »

Derokuto wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:19 am Is there any other window to flash Rathalos while he is flying :?: I only got him down in area 6 of forest and hills from up just outside the nest entrance, I've tried with no success to flash him while he is starting his 1 minute merry go round flying routine
It's best done more during his kinda hovering in one spot. You can get him as he's taking off/dive-bombing but you really need the timing to be bang on for those
Lori
Greenhorn

Post by Lori »

is there a way to stop him from fleeing so much, or any known cause for why? i've noticed he does it more at the start of a hunt, sometimes wasting five minutes, but after enough hits (even if I can only land a few per area) he'll settle down and fight me in just one or two areas for the remainder of the fight.

My suspicions:
Paintballing or otherwise hitting him before he sees you will most likely trigger him to flee
Rage mode MIGHT be what stops him from area swapping so frequently?
Captain of Navirou's Love Club (They/Them)
MH2/MHF Dual Blade fanatic
MH1 Greatsword apologist

PFP and signature BG by @Fawxhead on Twitter!

Return to “General”