Promoting MH1

Anything related to the game can fit here.
PlatyPete
Greenhorn

Promoting MH1

Post by PlatyPete »

I'm working on a video to show off what's great about MH1, and why it's worth playing (even with MH2 now online.) I've worked out some talking points already, but I'd like to hear what ideas y'all might have, and why you play, or used to play, MH1 in particular. Even if it's just to prep a save file to play MHG.

I'm not really gonna talk about MHG, because I think MH1 is the game that gets the least attention, especially now. I want to highlight MH1 in particular.
shamino
Greenhorn

Re: Promoting MH1

Post by shamino »

I think the reason to play MH1 is more for curiosity's sake, what can this game offer that their sequels couldn't?.
Adam
Ranger

Post by Adam »

There are a few things I would say make the game worth playing. The game only has up to green sharpness making progression feel different compared the rest of the series, the skill system is unique to MH1 NA and JP, the quest system where you can bring lower rank hunters to area's they aren't supposed to be, and overall the game is a lot more stable than Dos currently.
MH1 - HR 20 | MHG - HR 30 | MH Dos - HR 200+ | MH Tri - HR 100+
MH3U - HR 70+ | MH 4U - HR 200+ | MH GU - HR 100+
MH World - HR 400+ | MH Rise - HR 850+
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

shamino wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:29 pm I think the reason to play MH1 is more for curiosity's sake, what can this game offer that their sequels couldn't?.
Are you asking the forum users for response, or are you just stating what you think Pete should try and answer in his video?
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
shamino
Greenhorn

Post by shamino »

Mostly seeking answers, what Adam stated are some good reasons
Xika
Greenhorn

Post by Xika »

shamino wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:29 pm I think the reason to play MH1 is more for curiosity's sake, what can this game offer that their sequels couldn't?.
The most grounded presentation of the world in the series (exceeds even MH2), a sense of perspective on where weapons came from and what the initial iteration of classic weapons handled like, a unique armor skill system different from any later version, the most interesting inventory management that the series has to offer, the ambiance of the Queen's Room, and a certain... "special technique"... that can be performed with bowgun.
shamino
Greenhorn

Post by shamino »

Xika wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:27 pm a unique armor skill system different from any later version..
the most interesting inventory management that the series has to offer...
The skill system is different than the one from MHG?.
I'd like to see how interesting is that inventory management and how it differs from the sequels
happycodemonkey
Greenhorn

Post by happycodemonkey »

Pretty late response, but I started playing it partially due to curiosity about the history of the franchise, and partially because I think the fan server and translation is such an impressive games preservation effort. I have kept playing because it is such a wonderful unique experience, even while I have been struggling through the village quests I have found so much to enjoy about it. It has given me a whole new perspective on the franchise overall.
MH1JP (gully): HR1, MHG (gully): HR1
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

Xika wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:27 pmThe most grounded presentation of the world in the series (exceeds even MH2), a sense of perspective on where weapons came from and what the initial iteration of classic weapons handled like, a unique armor skill system different from any later version, the most interesting inventory management that the series has to offer, the ambiance of the Queen's Room, and a certain... "special technique"... that can be performed with bowgun.
Honestly this is one of the best, most concise ways to describe the appeal of 1JP, so bravo.

I would say that 1JP is the only Monster Hunter game that to me, never even felt like a game, it felt like a world that I was meant to live within. I've never been so naturally and effortlessly immersed in a game than I was when I played 1JP.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
PlatyPete
Greenhorn

Post by PlatyPete »

Thanks for the responses y'all! I'm definitely of the same mind with a lot of your thoughts :D

Return to “General”