Hammer in dos

Anything related to the game can fit here.
Yuliri
Greenhorn

Hammer in dos

Post by Yuliri »

I will re play dos (yes I know this been like mounth ago that i said that and didn't do it, but i will do it now since the server will open) and i just realise that hammer in this game are pretty strong like sub 5-10 all monster, is this just because I am good at this game or hammer is broken in this game? Same, is this same for all weapons or the hammer have a really bad sharpness :?:
Reject humanity and become a TrUe hArDcOrE g@mEr cOmPlEtIoNiSt 8-)
josek13
Greenhorn

Re: Hammer in dos

Post by josek13 »

The hammer was always a great weapon, specifying your question I would say yes, in the first two gens the hammer is excellent. I am also currently playing Dos, I am main GS but I could not help but realize that the SnS is very strong in this game, so now I am playing a lot with it.

About sharpness I once read that this game was 'balanced' around green sharpness and that is why weapons tend to have little sharpness naturally, few are those who get blue sharpness without handicraft.
AmyRoxwell
Ranger

Post by AmyRoxwell »

Yuliri wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:04 pm I will re play dos (yes I know this been like mounth ago that i said that and didn't do it, but i will do it now since the server will open) and i just realise that hammer in this game are pretty strong like sub 5-10 all monster, is this just because I am good at this game or hammer is broken in this game? Same, is this same for all weapons or the hammer have a really bad sharpness :?:
Hammer has amazing MVs on Dos, even with stuns being hard to pulloff, if you play well with the weapon you become a wyvern destroyer, so it is a combination of both, also, depends of the hammer, some hammers have good sharpness, other not so much but compensate with DAMAGE
MH Dos Enjoyer (She/Her), trying to become a Master on all weapons,
Certified Member of the Navirou's Love Club
Yuliri
Greenhorn

Post by Yuliri »

Ok thanks for reply me :)
Reject humanity and become a TrUe hArDcOrE g@mEr cOmPlEtIoNiSt 8-)
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

josek13 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:01 amin the first two gens the hammer is excellent
Hammer is definitely not excellent in 1st gen, lol
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
josek13
Greenhorn

Post by josek13 »

Lutyrannus wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:33 am
josek13 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:01 amin the first two gens the hammer is excellent
At least in my opinion, it is true that it is not a very based opinion since the only MH I have played of the 1st gen is Freedom, but in my experience hammer carried me through the game since I was orphaned because my main weapon was 'bastardized' without the charge slash and I only had problems with gravios or monoblos at the end. :lol:

Maybe i dont remenber but i think the moveset of hammer not change from Freedom to Dos, so if for me it was very good in Freedom in Dos it's the same.

Could you give me your arguments as to why the hammer is not good at the 1st gen? :?: , I say this not forcing you to demonstrate it but as a mere curiosity to see that it seems that you know what you are talking about.
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

josek13 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:57 pm
Lutyrannus wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:33 am
At least in my opinion, it is true that it is not a very based opinion since the only MH I have played of the 1st gen is Freedom, but in my experience hammer carried me through the game since I was orphaned because my main weapon was 'bastardized' without the charge slash and I only had problems with gravios or monoblos at the end. :lol:

Maybe i dont remenber but i think the moveset of hammer not change from Freedom to Dos, so if for me it was very good in Freedom in Dos it's the same.

Could you give me your arguments as to why the hammer is not good at the 1st gen? :?: , I say this not forcing you to demonstrate it but as a mere curiosity to see that it seems that you know what you are talking about.
I don't know anything about Freedom, but in the original Monster Hunter and Monster Hunter G, Hammer is universally considered the weakest weapon class. It's hard to use, and it doesn't deal much damage in retaliation, and when combined with the fact that you can't stun monsters in first gen, it's easily the worst weapon. Not that it isn't viable, it just has comparatively low DPS.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
Xika
Greenhorn

Post by Xika »

Yuliri wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:04 pm I will re play dos (yes I know this been like mounth ago that i said that and didn't do it, but i will do it now since the server will open) and i just realise that hammer in this game are pretty strong like sub 5-10 all monster, is this just because I am good at this game or hammer is broken in this game? Same, is this same for all weapons or the hammer have a really bad sharpness :?:
The triple pound combo has 172 motion value. For comparison, a level 3 charged slash on greatsword has an effective motion value of 143. Even the other hammer moves are very good; the level 3 charge super pound alone has 96 motion value and is safe and easy to use for head-turns; even the level 2 charge double swing has 80 motion value and smoothly combos into itself for consistent dps with repositioning. The hammer has both incredible power and a number of tools in its kit to fight in various styles for different situations.

Hammer is also blessed with incredible options, and even a hammer with little sharpness can be put to good use due to the high sharpness efficiency of the weapon class.

Diagonal hitboxes on all weapon attacks can be used to attack either high or low depending on the direction the hunter is facing, and the hammer is no different; a golf swing can either be prepared to swing high to hit a monster in the head as it turns, or it can hit low to wake up a sleeping monster. Similarly, the charged double swing can reach high or low with superarmor, allowing a hunter to reach the head of a wyvern as it outputs chip, or the stomach of a giant dragon as its stride outputs wind pressure. The AOE on the super pound combined with natural ESP allows an extended range to hit beyond monsters' hitboxes and through tough areas, allowing attacks through damaging auras or thunderous barriers.

tldr: hammer is strong but also has a high skill ceiling

Return to “General”