SNS tips?

Are you stuck? Don't know how to do something? Ask here!
jamie
Greenhorn

SNS tips?

Post by jamie »

i think i'm doing something very wrong when trying to use this weapon! i ran some deathprize in early village for the comfort, but in later village any of my hunts with late village sns seem to take 2x-3x longer on average than hammer :(

i don't know if i'm missing more opportunities for damage/not being aggressive enough, or if i'm just using the wrong moves and combos and not optimizing my openings. i want to get better at using this weapon, among others!

she/they
Xika
Greenhorn

Re: SNS tips?

Post by Xika »

first of all hammer is absurdly strong compared to most other weapons in mh2; the triple pound combo has 172 total motion value, compared to the 99 effective motion value of the sns 5-hit combo including the 1.2x sharpness modifier

much of SnS damage will come from element, so try building a variety of elemental options and choosing the right sword for the job - note that some monsters are not very weak to elemental damage in general, such as diablos

the elemental weakspot of a monster is not always the same as the severing damage weakspot, and sometimes it is out of reach for the sns; in these situations, a longer weapon or one of a different damage type may perform better

as with all weapons, damage increases mostly through positioning and timing! SnS has a number of tools to control spacing, which can help take openings when some other weapon classes may struggle:
- in MH2 the jumping slash gives super armor for several seconds unless you roll; you can walk out of the jumping slash and maintain flinch resistance!
- the endlag on the jumping slash can be canceled out of with a roll directly into a rising slash by inputting "up" on the analogue stick; use this to close a large amount of distance quickly
- keep your sword arm to the monster; by habitually circling leftwards, when you turn to engage the monster from its right, the larger portion of your hitbox will face towards them (don't face directly towards the monster, but "rightwards", enabling rolls away from the monster)

tldr: hit the monster and dont get hit 8-) happy hunting!

Return to “Help & Support”