Monsties become smaller in newer games.

A place to discuss anything related to the Monster Hunter universe, our project, or this forum itself (for example, suggestions). Please, for talks about specific games use the appropriate sections.
Shupport
Greenhorn

Monsties become smaller in newer games.

Post by Shupport »

I can't be the only one to have noticed how smaller the monsters have gotten in newer games.
I remember fighting a Gravios in Rise then playing FrontierZ and seeing a Gravios there and holy HELL that thing was HUGE.
Albeit I can probably give a guess that they made the monsters smaller in Rise because it's originally a Switch game and they added a shit ton of stuff there but still.

Part of me wants Capcom to make the monsties large as hell again cause I think it makes them look cooler and more menacing (even if some monsters aren't actually menacing.)

But also if they don't, I like to think that the golden crown monsters are the actual sized monsters in each game cause at least those guys are huge as heck. I fought this Lunagaron and noticed how freaking huge it was while I was farming its materials for new armor and thought "This is how it should have looked like..."
SHUPPORT on MH1JP/G , MHDOS, MHTRI , MHFRONTIERZ
POGMU & NANIKUSA on MHWORLDBORNE, MHRISEBREAK

GMT+8 time, low rank in all Shupport characters lol.
yursk
Greenhorn

Re: Monsties become smaller in newer games.

Post by yursk »

I actually haven't play newer games of the saga, but if mosters are smaller than those on mh1, I think is pretty sad, i'ts funny to defeat a giant virtual beast :lol:
MH1: Yursk-HR: 20 (ID: 5P3DHL) / MHG: Menia-HR: 5 (ID: G06NTQ) / MH2: Rynx-HR: 1 (ID: RT2XHH) / MH3: Yursk-HR: 1 (ID: Z0ZCBC)
Spanish/English/Learning Swedish hehe
BabyRath
Greenhorn

Post by BabyRath »

That's not something I can say I really noticed tbh. The only time I noticed disparity in size distribution across different games was Plesioth in 3U. These guys are on average HUUUUGE in games like GU, and noticeably smaller in 3U, and the obvious, most probable reason is that they had to be fought underwater. So if there's really any size difference in newer gens, it's probably because of technical restrictions like you said
Guild Card Awards Enthusiast

Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

Gravios isn't in Rise.

Also, no, monsters aren't substantially smaller. The scale of the game is just different, and it makes the monsters feel smaller. The issue isn't size, it's how the design frames the monsters.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
Shupport
Greenhorn

Post by Shupport »

Oop, it must have been Basarios then- ^^"

But yeah, it might just be the scale of the game since it's more open world in each map compared to loading each area individually in older gens.
SHUPPORT on MH1JP/G , MHDOS, MHTRI , MHFRONTIERZ
POGMU & NANIKUSA on MHWORLDBORNE, MHRISEBREAK

GMT+8 time, low rank in all Shupport characters lol.
AmyRoxwell
Ranger

Post by AmyRoxwell »

In 4U I noticed that the hunter feels smaller compared to the monsters, sometimes Rajang was SUPER HUGE, but count as small, but I noticed them a bit smaller on 3U.
On Rise they are still really big so I dont think this statement is really true tbh
MH Dos Enjoyer (She/Her), trying to become a Master on all weapons,
Certified Member of the Navirou's Love Club
Shincry
Greenhorn

Post by Shincry »

Cannot say for sure... But Risebreak Monster Size is sometimes nonsensical, at a level where sometimes you cannot see anything because of their bodies or wings...

You know? I might actually check it
PET THE POOGIE
pepesito1
Ranger

Post by pepesito1 »

you are a liar
Mexican, eng/esp ok, 19 years old, huge xenoblade, ace attorney, half life and monster hunter nerd
In life there are hunters, and then there are monster hunters.
Draculestia
Greenhorn

Post by Draculestia »

Shupport wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:03 pm I can't be the only one to have noticed how smaller the monsters have gotten in newer games.
And here I thought this was about Monster Hunter Stories :oops:
Azelkun
Greenhorn

Post by Azelkun »

Actually, some of them are even bigger like Seregios in Sunbreak.
I think they're kinda the same size as ever, what makes size variable are the gold and silver crown monsters, although some of them would have ecological reasons like Regios in Sunbreak.
Azel, The Hermit of the Mosque
Spanish/English
Playing since Freedom 2 onward
Lore wormbook and Hammer fan

Return to “Tavern”