[FEBRUARY POLL] What's your preferred way to play old MH?

A place to discuss anything related to the Monster Hunter universe, our project, or this forum itself (for example, suggestions). Please, for talks about specific games use the appropriate sections.

What is your preferred way to play old-school Monster Hunter?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:53 am

Hardware
61%
Emulator
39%

Total votes: 28

Lutyrannus

[FEBRUARY POLL] What's your preferred way to play old MH?

Post by Lutyrannus »

Gamers! Dundorma won the last poll, as it should. This time I wanted to ask: what do you consider to be the best way to play old MH? Emulator, or hardware? Do you prefer being able to upscale, or the original appearance of the game? Do you enjoy the freedom of emulators, or the accuracy of hardware? Discuss below!
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
Adam
Ranger

Re: [FEBRUARY POLL] What's your preferred way to play old MH?

Post by Adam »

Is the floating point in the room with us right now?
MH1 - HR 20 | MHG - HR 30 | MH Dos - HR 200+ | MH Tri - HR 100+
MH3U - HR 70+ | MH 4U - HR 200+ | MH GU - HR 100+
MH World - HR 400+ | MH Rise - HR 850+
AmyRoxwell
Ranger

Post by AmyRoxwell »

Emulator, cuz I cannot afford a network adaptor ;w;
Also due to the fact that is easy to use, have access to improvement like upscaling and just be able to play on my sick ass IPS monitor :3.
MH Dos Enjoyer (She/Her), trying to become a Master on all weapons,
Certified Member of the Navirou's Love Club
Seki

Post by Seki »

AmyRoxwell wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:26 am Emulator, cuz I cannot afford a network adaptor ;w;
Also due to the fact that is easy to use, have access to improvement like upscaling and just be able to play on my sick ass IPS monitor :3.
If money for the network adaptor is the only thing holding you back, doesn't that mean, that you'd rather play on hardware? :D

And I'd argue that increasing the internal resolution is a huge downgrade for PS2 MH, since that lets you see all the models and textures not meant to be seen that clearly ^^'
AmyRoxwell
Ranger

Post by AmyRoxwell »

Seki wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:31 am
AmyRoxwell wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:26 am Emulator, cuz I cannot afford a network adaptor ;w;
If money for the network adaptor is the only thing holding you back, doesn't that mean, that you'd rather play on hardware? :D

And I'd argue that increasing the internal resolution is a huge downgrade for PS2 MH, since that lets you see all the models and textures not meant to be seen that clearly ^^'
Nope, cuz I love playing on emu, it doesnt have any more lag than my ps2 led tv setup, it looks cleaner for my poor vision and just looks pretty :3
MH Dos Enjoyer (She/Her), trying to become a Master on all weapons,
Certified Member of the Navirou's Love Club
Yuminda
Greenhorn

Post by Yuminda »

I like both ways, but I prefer to play on emulators, because I like it to play old games with newer controllers, e.g. we've all got used to the (PSP) claw, but being able to play the Portable Series with a PS5 Controller is just awesome [and a larger screen]. The save games/states on an emulator are also easier/faster to access and I wrote a bash script to synchronize all my emulator save games with my server, so I can easily switch between laptop (portable method) and stationary PC whenever I want to. (And I don't have a perfectly working PS2 controller anymore, lol).

But hardware is nostalgia. <3
Draculestia
Greenhorn

Post by Draculestia »

For MH specifically, I do prefer emulation these days for the ease and comfort of it. I think there's a much stronger argument for playing on hardware if you're talking about the PS2 versus PC, but PSP versus PC not so much.
Stephan/Gukst
Greenhorn

Post by Stephan/Gukst »

Draculestia wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:11 am For MH specifically, I do prefer emulation these days for the ease and comfort of it. I think there's a much stronger argument for playing on hardware if you're talking about the PS2 versus PC, but PSP versus PC not so much.
I don't agree with this at all I think the PSP games loose way more of their charm and importance in their design decisions if you play them on emulator, although I am thinking of emulator as in on your PC because I'd imagine it's not that bad to emulate the PSP games on your phone. With the Console games you'd sit down and play a session regardless if you're on PC or PS2 (or Wii)
TheLocoBandito
Greenhorn

Post by TheLocoBandito »

i love hardware like my pc and ps2 they keep me warm like in the winter but in the summer im like no! no hunting!

Code: Select all

Art by Matthew Kurth

|\/\/\/\/\/|
  |          |
  |          |
  |          |
  |    __  __|
  |   /  \/  \
  |  (o   )o  )
 /c   \__/ --.
 \_   ,     -'
  |  '\_______)
  |      _)
  |     |
 /`-----'\
/         \
DJ Trash Raptor
Greenhorn

Post by DJ Trash Raptor »

i'm a big physical media lover and as much as i admire and support emulators for their preservation and easy access for everyone to enjoy, there's still a certain charm of playing games on the console they were made for that can't be really captured by playing it on a pc or phone

that's easier said than done these days, unfortunately
scalpers and whatnot lol
moster honter :)
certified lunatic and on a mission to do as many quests throughout the franchise as i physically can
i draw things sometimes

Return to “Tavern”