Which MH game has the best ingame chat?

A place to discuss anything related to the Monster Hunter universe, our project, or this forum itself (for example, suggestions). Please, for talks about specific games use the appropriate sections.
Stephan/Gukst
Greenhorn

Which MH game has the best ingame chat?

Post by Stephan/Gukst »

When I say "best" I mean which has the most access to the chat while doing things, like being at the smithy or picking a quest.
If anybody knows them all could you tell me?
I had this question for a while and everytime I play Tri or World I'm sad I can't see or write in chat while making gear.
Grender
Admin

Re: Which MH game has the best ingame chat?

Post by Grender »

Hmmm probably Dos as you can even talk with people from other Towns.
Server Admin & Developer — Want to support my work? https://ko-fi.com/grender

MH1: Aeryx, HR20 · MHG: N/A · MH2: Grender, HR12
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

Definitely Dos. Maybe Frontier cause it was on PC but I have no clue.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
AmyRoxwell
Ranger

Post by AmyRoxwell »

I really love dos one, the music and ambience really makes it a chatty game hehe
MH Dos Enjoyer (She/Her), trying to become a Master on all weapons,
Certified Member of the Navirou's Love Club
Yuminda
Greenhorn

Post by Yuminda »

As a chat enthusiast, I really like the chats of Tri and Dos. I spent an unbelievable amount of time in Tri chillin' in people's houses in Loc Lac and chattin' with friends and strangers. Many people plugged a usb keyboard into their Wii and had fun chatting. Whether in front of the city gate, where people recognized each other and the wildest conversations took place with up to 40 hunters (if I remember right), or in the city with up to four hunters. The chat also was clearer than in Dos, because the window allowed more characters and only one line per message. + The mail system like in Dos
But yeah, you're right that it didn't go well with the blacksmith and I think you could not see the city gate chat like in Dos. The worst thing about the Tri chat was the ridiculous chat filter. I don't know if the PS2 games had such a filter back in the days as I started with Tri. If anyone knows, please let me know, lol.

As there are cons and pros for Dos and Tri, I would say both chats are equally good ;D But I prefer Tri.

The fourth gen was significantly less chatty due to the limitations of the 3DS, with the Switch version of XX being the best of them, but way worse than Dos and Tri... I think you couldn't chat while you were in a quest in the 3DS games, only pre-written messages. I would say the fifth gen has quite appealing chats, but ppl aren't so chatty these days. (And I didn't play the first gen online so far, but I will sooner or later, muahaha... :twisted: )
Adam
Ranger

Post by Adam »

One of the worst games for ingame chat has to go to MHGU as you can plug in a keyboard but it can't be used during quests, you can only use shoutouts during quests.
MH1 - HR 20 | MHG - HR 30 | MH Dos - HR 200+ | MH Tri - HR 100+
MH3U - HR 70+ | MH 4U - HR 200+ | MH GU - HR 100+
MH World - HR 400+ | MH Rise - HR 850+

Return to “Tavern”