Prefer to Solo hunt or Group hunt?

A place to discuss anything related to the Monster Hunter universe, our project, or this forum itself (for example, suggestions). Please, for talks about specific games use the appropriate sections.
Shupport
Greenhorn

Prefer to Solo hunt or Group hunt?

Post by Shupport »

This came to mind when I was playing MHFU, but I was wondering if any of you guys have a preference to solo hunt or hunt with a group? Either with friends or randos for the group hunt.

This is specifically for the guild hunts and not the village hunts.

Me personally, I prefer group hunts but I find it harder to do with the older games cause I'm pretty bad with socializing in general. ^^"
SHUPPORT on MH1JP/G , MHDOS, MHTRI , MHFRONTIERZ
POGMU & NANIKUSA on MHWORLDBORNE, MHRISEBREAK

GMT+8 time, low rank in all Shupport characters lol.
Grender
Admin

Re: Prefer to Solo hunt or Group hunt?

Post by Grender »

I prefer grouping most of the time, fights are just more fun that way. :)
Server Admin & Developer — Want to support my work? https://ko-fi.com/grender

MH1: Aeryx, HR20 · MHG: N/A · MH2: Grender, HR12
Artylo
Greenhorn

Post by Artylo »

I think the MMO-lite nature of the series expects you to group up and tackle the guild hall quests, so there is definitely an emphasis on group play outside of the village. Most titles up to essentially World do that format and I think it works well; as in a clearly discernable single-player only and multiplayer part, which you can tackle alone if you so wish.

Personally, I entirely prefer playing multiplayer over single-player, and the sort of quick-play matchmaking in the 5th generation titles makes that relatively easy for almost every quest from start to finish. There's even the element of you starting the quest alone, but other hunters streaming into the quest as time goes on, which I find compelling, and a nice middle-ground between the two modes of play. The newer addition of followers who simulate real players with their weapons and buffs is also interesting, since that stuff has been attempted by things like Comrades starting in 2nd gen.

The portable games made grouping up a little bit of a hassle in the physical proximity sense back in the day, and in the modern day "how do we group up over the internet in this" kinda way on a technical level. Obviously there's now pretty much private servers or ad-hoc VPNs for almost every game in the series, but it's still a bit abrasive, making a lot of people just play solo instead.

Ultimately, I like having hunting horn tap into its full raid tier support potential, as well as seeing everyone doing damage and splitting aggro of the monster, breaking parts while it's busy with someone else. I like seeing people's cool gear and cool weapons, and I even like being carried through quests while I go pick my nose in a corner, if you can believe it.
— Arty

I'm just a voice, pal.
Host of ARTV. Poseur anarcho-punk. Occasional writer, programmer and editor. 5級 in Riichi Mahjong.
MH1 - HR15 - ID: 7BKNX0 · MHG - N/A · MH2 - N/A · MH Sunbreak- MR503:HR757:AL300
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

Depends heavily on the game. In fifth gen (Rise specifically) I tend to prefer solo. In more online-focused MH games (like the PS2 games) I definitely prefer group hunting, usually in parties of three.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
Stephan/Gukst
Greenhorn

Post by Stephan/Gukst »

group hunts of course, how else would I annoy people with Hammer superpound?
yursk
Greenhorn

Post by yursk »

I really love to hunt with more people, almost everytime with randoms because my friends doesn't like older mh games :'). Anyways is still being funny to play in groups, launching everybody with gs and being launched too lol.
MH1: Yursk-HR: 20 (ID: 5P3DHL) / MHG: Menia-HR: 5 (ID: G06NTQ) / MH2: Rynx-HR: 1 (ID: RT2XHH) / MH3: Yursk-HR: 1 (ID: Z0ZCBC)
Spanish/English/Learning Swedish hehe
TheLocoBandito
Greenhorn

Post by TheLocoBandito »

i like to solo hunt but i act like im in group hunt like with some youtubers i make commnetary and ninja is like woah we got this kutku yay and then i get too nito it and say something toos spicy and he is like WOAH THERE PEWDIEPIE WE GON GET DEMONITEZED and im like sorry ninja but we win against the kutku but yeah i like solo hunts but in group mentality :lol:

Code: Select all

Art by Matthew Kurth

|\/\/\/\/\/|
  |          |
  |          |
  |          |
  |    __  __|
  |   /  \/  \
  |  (o   )o  )
 /c   \__/ --.
 \_   ,     -'
  |  '\_______)
  |      _)
  |     |
 /`-----'\
/         \
Adam
Ranger

Post by Adam »

I prefer group for every game, if I want to play solo there is always village. I think MH World is best played in a group of 3 so the health scaling isn't in your favor.
MH1 - HR 20 | MHG - HR 30 | MH Dos - HR 200+ | MH Tri - HR 100+
MH3U - HR 70+ | MH 4U - HR 200+ | MH GU - HR 100+
MH World - HR 400+ | MH Rise - HR 850+

Return to “Tavern”