[FEBRUARY POLL] What's your preferred way to play old MH?

A place to discuss anything related to the Monster Hunter universe, our project, or this forum itself (for example, suggestions). Please, for talks about specific games use the appropriate sections.

What is your preferred way to play old-school Monster Hunter?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:53 am

Hardware
61%
Emulator
39%

Total votes: 28

monmonboy
Greenhorn

Re: [FEBRUARY POLL] What's your preferred way to play old MH?

Post by monmonboy »

Original hardware if possible, is fantastic. This really hit me when playing Tri (though "emulated" on the WiiU) and the controller was so much better than playing emulated on the Steamdeck. Controllers is something I don't see too much focus on but old Sony/Nintendo controllers can be of incredible quality and the experience of playing with these beauties is worth the effort of an original hardware setup.

I'm trying to get a CRT to play Dos on that, which I know will look great. Has anybody played Tri on a CRT and does it look better than on flatscreen TV? I spent an hour trying to make my flatscreen TV picture quality less digital to make Tri look more original, but was not happy with the results.

edit - I got a SFC to play old Fire Emblem and a PS2 to play Dos, and there is no comparison the original hardware is so much better. I’ve been using emulators for many years but until now I didn’t realise how much has been lost in the emulation. The big points for me are: 1) old games were not designed for pixel perfect rendering/displays, or upscaling, and they look so so bad on emulators and modern screens. I thought Dos looked good at 2x resolution emulated, but original resolution going through PS2 output/tv jank, it looks incredible I don’t know why by the contrast is better the colours too and I don’t think emulators do 3D shading the same as the PS2. Original hardware the graphics look solid, the realism is brilliant.

2) Comfort. Controllers are better on original hardware. The console starts in 1 second and there is no menu. You got the game That’s It. No dicking around with emulation options or downloading crap on Steam or wherever.

3) Experience. Emulation = convenience so you play anywhere anytime. Hardware setup means it’s fixed, you have to wait until you have time at home, you can think about playing more and anticipate each session, plan ahead. I lost this with emulation.

I recommend everyone try going back to original hardware. I don’t know how I’ll feel about this in a year or so but now I can’t see a reason to play a modern game again.

Return to “Tavern”