MH2 - RetroAchievements Set [Discussion/Help]

Anything related to the game can fit here.
Brylefi
Greenhorn

MH2 - RetroAchievements Set [Discussion/Help]

Post by Brylefi »

Hi! I'm an achievement developer at RetroAchievements.org, I'm currently working on an achievement set for Monster Hunter 2, this set will be able to be played using the pcsx2 emulator once it's released. I'm currently on the conceptual phase of development, aka figuring out an achievement plan to then code and implement, and I need help with that, as I do not have too much knowledge on it, it's lacking documentation and the game's progression is different from other Monster Hunter games. This achievement set should only cover the Singleplayer/Offline side of things, a separate Multiplayer set will probably be done once servers are public and running.
Here is my current achievement plan: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The green highlights are main progression (the path to beat the game).
The yellow highlights are the color symbols.
The red highlights the in-game titles.

Currently my biggest questions are:
- Should I do progression in a different way, if so, how? I covered them in star order as I ain't really sure the true quest order this game has, but that's something I can discover by checking the unlock times of when people play this set, and then re-ordering them afterwards.
- Should I do achievements for the Dojo Quests, complete in less than the Time Attack time?
- Should I cover all the Gold Crowns?
- Should I cover the Item/Armor/Weapon Collection?
- Should I also cover progression of the red bubbles, not only the quests?
- Should I do achievements of beating certain quests with specific gear?

Feel free to add any extra ideas or changes to the plan you have, I will keep it updated, and once I start working on the implementation it should serve as a way to check my progress, it shouldn't take too long as I already have the game's RAM figured out.
pepesito1
Ranger

Re: MH2 - RetroAchievements Set [Discussion/Help]

Post by pepesito1 »

wheres my pet poogie perfectly 100 times achievement?
Mexican, eng/esp ok, 19 years old, huge xenoblade, ace attorney, half life and monster hunter nerd
In life there are hunters, and then there are monster hunters.
Excylis
Greenhorn

Post by Excylis »

I think for a lot of stuff it depends how achievable it's meant to be - is getting them all meant to be an eventuality or only for the most dedicated of players? If the latter then I think achievements for all gold crowns, collecting all armour weapons etc would be really neat. As an aside I think you could tie some of the achievements to the village upgrades rather than the quests themselves, which also might eliminate the need to track red bubble quests.
Jurther
Greenhorn

Post by Jurther »

Is this somekind of mod? Will this affect the online?
I started in Kokoto, and trained in Pokke, now I work for Minegarde and Dundorma!

Forgotten MH Discord: https://discord.gg/UsN72pQ8zN
Excylis
Greenhorn

Post by Excylis »

Jurther wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:05 am Is this somekind of mod? Will this affect the online?
To my understanding it just reads game data without modifying it in any way.

Return to “General”