The One Monster You Like Best

A place to discuss anything related to the Monster Hunter universe, our project, or this forum itself (for example, suggestions). Please, for talks about specific games use the appropriate sections.
Rune
Greenhorn

The One Monster You Like Best

Post by Rune »

since we already have a least-favourite monster thread, let's get a favourite monster thread going!

my old-school favourites are basarios and gravios!
i think the idea of having two different fights for the same monster at different points in its lifecycle is super neat, especially for a monster that's not even an elder dragon or otherwise elevated in story terms. plus basarios is cute and gravios is so huge! is gravios the biggest non-elder-dragon monster? i don't know and i'm not gonna look it up because i will still love him the same

in newer games (the ones with exhaust mechanics), one of my favourites is tigrex! fighting him with a guard weapon (especially charge blade) is very satisfying, and i think it's funny how he gets really shitty when he's tired. little guy needs a nap, he's out of control and can't even charge properly. 1 like = 1 prayer for tired tigrex

please post monster positivity here :) i know i made the title sound like you have to pick one, but i didn't pick just one, so you can pick as many as you want too
MH1 HR20
they/them
mi wile toki pona
yursk
Greenhorn

Re: The One Monster You Like Best

Post by yursk »

I like a lot Rathalos, maybe because I love red xD, I think it's pretty accurate for what a dragon is
MH1: Yursk-HR: 20 (ID: 5P3DHL) / MHG: Menia-HR: 5 (ID: G06NTQ) / MH2: Rynx-HR: 1 (ID: RT2XHH) / MH3: Yursk-HR: 1 (ID: Z0ZCBC)
Spanish/English/Learning Swedish hehe
Shupport
Greenhorn

Post by Shupport »

My fav old school monsters are definitely Nargacuga and Tigrex lol.
Tigrex is mostly out of nostalgia since it was the flagship monster when me and my brother played A Lot. It is a bitch to fight though but I honestly think that adds to the nostalgia for me because I can hate it when it does the dumb charge attacks at me :lol:
Nargacuga has such a cool design and that it being a hunter from the shadows makes it cool. Plus I LOVE the armor you can get from it. I also love it's variant, Lucent Nargacuga a lot cause it can go invisible like? How cool is that.
SHUPPORT on MH1JP/G , MHDOS, MHTRI , MHFRONTIERZ
POGMU & NANIKUSA on MHWORLDBORNE, MHRISEBREAK

GMT+8 time, low rank in all Shupport characters lol.
Jurther
Greenhorn

Post by Jurther »

Nargacuga, it is cool.
I started in Kokoto, and trained in Pokke, now I work for Minegarde and Dundorma!

Forgotten MH Discord: https://discord.gg/UsN72pQ8zN
DJ Trash Raptor
Greenhorn

Post by DJ Trash Raptor »

probably not a surprise since i have him as a pfp but valstrax definitely is my absolute favorite!

reasons:
jetpack dragon
cool attacks
bomb ass theme
jetpack dragon

other mentions go to: brachydios, glavenus, amatsumagatsuchi, shagaru magala, mizutsune
you can probably see a pattern there, lol
moster honter :)
certified lunatic and on a mission to do as many quests throughout the franchise as i physically can
i draw things sometimes
WillowCatkinsMaria
Greenhorn

Post by WillowCatkinsMaria »

My favorite old-school monster is Rathian, the classic queen of the land.

My favorite monster is Magnamalo, the misunderstood itty bitty little kitty.

I love how it has both bad blood and the tigers grudge in it, and when Scorned, the common Monster Hunter one-eyed grudge look that Scarred Garuga, the Fatalis Evil Eye and Soulseer Mizutsune all have that denotes their greatly increased hatred and resentment.

And so much more but aaaaaugh, I’ve got the exhaustions.
Willow is the kitty cat ever she is babie dearest <3 <3 <3

Velvet in MHGU

Lotus in Sunbreak
Draculestia
Greenhorn

Post by Draculestia »

For me, it's definitely Deviljho. People who experienced him for the first time in Tri will understand - he is dynamic, intimidating and really fun to fight. The intimidation factor was much greater in Tri, because he was very strong, but also a bit mysterious. It was a game with a very small number of monsters, so by the time you reached high rank, you may have already done low rank in the village in addition to low rank in the guild, so when you go into high rank, you're really just fighting the same stuff again, just noticeably stronger. Other games have been much better at doing that. One monster that is exclusive to high rank in that game though was Deviljho. He would suddenly dig out of the ground in the middle of your high rank quest and obliterate you in all sorts of creative ways, and he would get summoned to hunts by Qurupeco, and then to top it off, you don't actually get to hunt him in his own quest until after you beat the final boss (Alatreon), unless of course you do his capture quest event, which has the same join requirement as your Alatreon urgent in high rank. So in that sense, he was closest to Yian Garuga from 1st gen than any other monster - not an Elder Dragon, but as strong as one and considered a 'special' hunt.

Most people who play Monster Hunter today know Deviljho and have fought him many times, but the people who fought him for the first time in Tri, which was his first appearance, are guaranteed to have a special attachment to him. They did such a good job with him in that game that he remains my favourite to this day.
Nayru
Greenhorn

Post by Nayru »

MH1 left me with an immense amount of affection for Yian Kut-Ku, but my favourite monster is Monoblos. Just one big ol' horn for stabbing. I love dinos so any dinosaur-inspired Monster is a bit of a cheat code.

Second place is Nerscylla!
Desperately searching for my edgy mid-00's shadow the Hedgehog siggy, to no avail
Azelkun
Greenhorn

Post by Azelkun »

Tigrex, it was the very first thing i saw of Monster Hunter when i looked it up back in 2008, i just LOVE it.
It's anatomy was the thing that impressed me the most, i am a fan of mythology, specially dragons, since i was a child and seeing a "dragon" so different from dragons like Spyro that had it's front legs and wings mashed and didn't had fire, but a deafening roar was something completely new.
The colors and name called my attention as well and it kickstarted my obsession with MH ever since.
I just love it so much, it's anatomy, ecology, theme, combat and armor, everything.
Special mentions would be Espinas, Gammoth, Bazelgeuse, Seregios, Gore Magala, Gobul and Gypceros.
Azel, The Hermit of the Mosque
Spanish/English
Playing since Freedom 2 onward
Lore wormbook and Hammer fan
BabyRath
Greenhorn

Post by BabyRath »

I'm a simple guy, I love Rathalos. Obviously MH released a lot of Monsters that I love design-wise, gameplay-wise and so on, but nothing beats the still untainted excitement I have when I'm facing off the King of the Skies in another generation
Guild Card Awards Enthusiast

Return to “Tavern”