MHG or MH1JP?

Are you stuck? Don't know how to do something? Ask here!
Shupport
Greenhorn

MHG or MH1JP?

Post by Shupport »

Aight, I gotta ask since I saw someone posting about when to transferr saves from MH1 to MHG (viewtopic.php?t=77) and wondered what ya'll started on?

I'm currently on MHG and plan to help my brother get this one too so we can hunt together online (I've been holding off on playing it after I got a few pieces of armor and the GS so I can play together with him)

Is there a difference with MHG and MH1 village wise? If so, would it be possible to transfer a MHG save file to MH?
SHUPPORT on MH1JP/G , MHDOS, MHTRI , MHFRONTIERZ
POGMU & NANIKUSA on MHWORLDBORNE, MHRISEBREAK

GMT+8 time, low rank in all Shupport characters lol.
pepesito1
Ranger

Re: MHG or MH1JP?

Post by pepesito1 »

MH1JP, there is no real reason to start with MHG at all
  • both are as easy to emulate and to purchase legally *cough*
  • if you're playing these games to begin with, it's probably because you WANT to look at the beginning of the franchise. so why not, you know, actually begin with the first game in the franchise instead of its pseudosequel?
  • MH1JP has a lot more players, normal rank and high rank players for that matter (obviously)
  • it's got a smaller (but more manageable) item box and equipment box, which from a certain point of view helps pad out the game
  • even if you just want to rush through these games, you can transfer forward to MHG and keep a lot of your progress, something you can't evidently do in MHG (go back to MH1)
  • unlike in MHG, mostly every other weapon is kind of viable. in MHG youre straight up being a burden in a 2-man or 3-man hunt if youre not using anything that isnt one of the strongest lances available to you yet along with the handicraft skill
village wise, youre not missing out on much, the quests are different but it doesnt really matter (ej. in mh1 theres a lot of "kill 20 prey" quests, in mhg theres a lot more quests that arent like that)
Mexican, eng/esp ok, 19 years old, huge xenoblade, ace attorney, half life and monster hunter nerd
In life there are hunters, and then there are monster hunters.
Shupport
Greenhorn

Post by Shupport »

pepesito1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:37 pm MH1JP, there is no real reason to start with MHG at all
  • if you're playing these games to begin with, it's probably because you WANT to look at the beginning of the franchise. so why not, you know, actually begin with the first game in the franchise instead of its pseudosequel?
  • MH1JP has a lot more players, normal rank and high rank players for that matter (obviously)
  • it's got a smaller (but more manageable) item box and equipment box, which from a certain point of view helps pad out the game
  • even if you just want to rush through these games, you can transfer forward to MHG and keep a lot of your progress, something you can't evidently do in MHG (go back to MH1)
  • unlike in MHG, mostly every other weapon is kind of viable. in MHG youre straight up being a burden in a 2-man or 3-man hunt if youre not using anything that isnt one of the strongest lances available to you yet along with the handicraft skill
village wise, youre not missing out on much, the quests are different but it doesnt really matter (ej. in mh1 theres a lot of "kill 20 prey" quests, in mhg theres a lot more quests that arent like that)
Ooohhh, I see I see.
So if I wanted to switch to a MH1JP version and play online, I'd have to go through the whole process again right?
Also I do have a copy of MH1 but it's the US version. Would you happen to know the differences between the JP (en translated ofc lol) and US versions?

pepesito1
Ranger

Post by pepesito1 »

Shupport wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:59 pm
pepesito1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:37 pm MH1JP, there is no real reason to start with MHG at all
Ooohhh, I see I see.
So if I wanted to switch to a MH1JP version and play online, I'd have to go through the whole process again right?
Also I do have a copy of MH1 but it's the US version. Would you happen to know the differences between the JP (en translated ofc lol) and US versions?
so this is a bit of a complex question, other people could answer this a lot better but ill do my best

MH1jp first released, and it is its own game, right? a complete, full experience

then the international (US and EU) versions released. theyre like mh1jp, but a little bit more refined: the raths, for example, get a proper sleeping animation (curled up like in every other game) instead of sleeping standing up like a kutku. the game also got harder, with the monsters having more hp and being harder to stagger. they also got the ability to spin both ways instead of in only one direction! another big change is that the dual blades were introduced in this game

the japanese devs probably thought that they were leaving their own audience with an outdated version of the game (MH1JP) so what they did was grab all of the little changes they did in MH1 US and EU, add a bit more content like the recolored monsters, and call it a new game: MHG

the end result is that there are 3 different versions (without counting the freedom games) of the gen 1 experience
  • MH1JP, the very first game
  • MH1 US and EU, a slightly more refined version of MH1JP with additions such as dual blades and different game balancing (mainly harder monster fights)
  • MHG, which grabs all the additions MH1 US and EU had, adds a G rank and monster recolors
another way to look at it is that MH1 US is just MHG without the grank and monster subspecies. obviously there are very tiny differences here and there but thats the oversimplification im able to give
Mexican, eng/esp ok, 19 years old, huge xenoblade, ace attorney, half life and monster hunter nerd
Shupport
Greenhorn

Post by Shupport »

pepesito1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:17 am
Shupport wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:59 pm
Ooohhh, I see I see.
so this is a bit of a complex question, other people could answer this a lot better but ill do my best

MH1jp first released, and it is its own game, right? a complete, full experience

then the international (US and EU) versions released. theyre like mh1jp, but a little bit more refined: the raths, for example, get a proper sleeping animation (curled up like in every other game) instead of sleeping standing up like a kutku. the game also got harder, with the monsters having more hp and being harder to stagger. they also got the ability to spin both ways instead of in only one direction! another big change is that the dual blades were introduced in this game

the japanese devs probably thought that they were leaving their own audience with an outdated version of the game (MH1JP) so what they did was grab all of the little changes they did in MH1 US and EU, add a bit more content like the recolored monsters, and call it a new game: MHG

the end result is that there are 3 different versions (without counting the freedom games) of the gen 1 experience
  • MH1JP, the very first game
  • MH1 US and EU, a slightly more refined version of MH1JP with additions such as dual blades and different game balancing (mainly harder monster fights)
  • MHG, which grabs all the additions MH1 US and EU had, adds a G rank and monster recolors
another way to look at it is that MH1 US is just MHG without the grank and monster subspecies. obviously there are very tiny differences here and there but thats the oversimplification im able to give
Oohhh okay, I see I see.
So for connecting to online play, would I need to do all the network settings again on the MH1JP, since it's basically the same game but altered, I can login to the server without having to do all the setting up, right?

pepesito1
Ranger

Post by pepesito1 »

im actually not sure, since i believe the games load the network setting from the memory card, so perhaps you dont need to reconfigure it again? :|
Shupport
Greenhorn

Post by Shupport »

Alright I tested it out and you don't need to reconfigure it!!!
I just gotta login now :] Hehe

Return to “Help & Support”