[About the Ancient Tower Location]

Unleash your inner scholar and immerse yourself in the obscure lore of Monster Hunter!
Lutyrannus

Re: [About the Ancient Tower Location]

Post by Lutyrannus »

Lutyrannus wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:01 am Oooo, nice, I'll give this a read later and probably send it to some folks.

I gotta say, the nicest part about having a forum over a Discord, is that I can actually link people shit without expecting them to have a Discord account and join a specific server.
Coming back now that I've actually finished the game (I finished it a long time ago, but I haven't remembered to look back at this thread).

It's all very good information, but I take issue with the idea that there could have been a bridge connecting the Jungle to Fonron.

I think it's much more likely that when when MHP2 refers to the location of the Ancient Tower as "the jungle," it's referring to the Great Forest/Sea of Trees. It is, after all, a jungle. The term that is being translated as "jungle" literally just means "dense forest."

There is an entire ocean between the Terosu Jungle and Fonron. I find it personally very unlikely they built a bridge across... an entire ocean.

That being said, Yama Tsukami can fly, so even if it is not a bridge, it doesn't necessarily mean that Yama Tsukami is not heading towards the Ancient Tower when you encounter him in the Jungle.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
Schrade Academy
Greenhorn

Re: [About the Ancient Tower Location]

Post by Schrade Academy »

I think it's much more likely that when when MHP2 refers to the location of the Ancient Tower as "the jungle," it's referring to the Great Forest/Sea of Trees. It is, after all, a jungle. The term that is being translated as "jungle" literally just means "dense forest."
I highly doubt it because in P2 we know from the end of MH2 that the lands near the Ancient Tower are not the same as the Jungle we go during the game.

As the Great Forest/Sea of Trees was only created for Frontier and after it, Freedom Unite (which that gave us the info about it in-game and books), i find it very unlikely the text here would refer to the different places (that were not yet developed) with the same writing as the one we know it’s used to describe the specific map location in the same game, a few Hunting Life Magazine issues up.

In MH2 we know that there is greenery around the tower, but we don’t know how much of it is there. Could be a little forest or a sea of trees (which was the correct and told us via later games). Also, from what we can infer from the looks of it, the types of trees are different than the ones from the jungle, without the tropical asthetic and with mountains all around it (that apparently suffered a shifting during the game story). Not to mention again the fact that if they were to be located in the same place as the Telos Jungle, it's hard to believe no one would have seen that tower from the distance, considering how big it is.

So i find it very hard to believe that they are refering to the Great Forest there.
It's all very good information, but I take issue with the idea that there could have been a bridge connecting the Jungle to Fonron.There is an entire ocean between the Terosu Jungle and Fonron. I find it personally very unlikely they built a bridge across... an entire ocean.
There’s is actual ocean crossing bridges in the real world (most notoriously the Macau-Hong Kong one, with 55KM of lenght), so for a civilization that builds a tower as gigantic as the one one we see in game, i think it’s unlikely they hadn’t the capacity to build a enormous bridge tieing both places or even various bridges tieing different uncharted islands that we don't know yet(considering that they always update the maps with every major discovery they have like they did in 2 Gen) that eventually reach the continent.

That also explains the ties the civilization in Fonron had with the creation of the structures of the Jungle, with we can infer that they migrated and lived there for a while so a path for it had to be built too, be it via bridges or even underwater tunnels (which considering that some civilizations had the knowledge on technology to breathe underwater, like the Moga one it's not a stretch too).

In MH2 the Minister also tells us that the path to the Ancient Tower is treacherous and only open during part of the year, which can fit pretty well with the change of the tidings lefting the sea/land path inacessible during that time.
That being said, Yama Tsukami can fly, so even if it is not a bridge, it doesn't necessarily mean that Yama Tsukami is not heading towards the Ancient Tower when you encounter him in the Jungle.
This part felt a bit confusing to me...
You meant to say that Yama is not heading towards the Tower? Or it is not clear that he is heading towards it?
Monster Hunter Lore and Worldview Researcher
Hunter from Pokke since 2011
Youtube Channel (BR): Schrade Academy

Return to “Lore”