What are your most and least favorite maps?

A place to discuss anything related to the Monster Hunter universe, our project, or this forum itself (for example, suggestions). Please, for talks about specific games use the appropriate sections.
Stephan/Gukst
Greenhorn

What are your most and least favorite maps?

Post by Stephan/Gukst »

I asked about the opinion on maps on the MHOldschool Discord once already, but the forum is better for such a question.

The reasons you like or dislike a map could be totally subjective, like the looks of it. Your reasoning can also be more objective like them not having good areas for fighting.

I'll start this with voicing my discontent with the 2nd gen desert, I don't like the areas, I don't like how it looks and I simply dislike the layout too.

On the other hand maps I really like would be Flooded-Forest or Ancient-Tower. In general atmosphere is what I value most in maps, I actually dislike most maps in MH because many feel inconsistent to me in that regard.

Feel free to call my opinion and justification stupid!
Lutyrannus

Re: What are your most and least favorite maps?

Post by Lutyrannus »

I like almost all of them, but my least favorite is probably the Old Desert. I don't hate it but it's by far the most boring to me personally.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
AmyRoxwell
Ranger

Post by AmyRoxwell »

That Forest and Hills got me crying up, map so beautiful that everytime I heard that music I try to not skip it :,D
worst map? probably old swamp, most of the caverns are totally disconnected and just feels kinda mid compared to second gen swamp -w-
MH Dos Enjoyer (She/Her), trying to become a Master on all weapons,
Certified Member of the Navirou's Love Club
DrachenBuster
Greenhorn

Post by DrachenBuster »

im basing this strictly on the ps2 games, cuz i dont wanna think too hard

the best maps are the old swamp and old jungle, the great forest is cool too

the worst maps are definitely the gen 2 volcano and swamp

this is objective and any and all counterarguments are nullified by my gorilla army 🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍
MH2Dos this dick fit in yo mouth?
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

DrachenBuster wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:43 pm im basing this strictly on the ps2 games, cuz i dont wanna think too hard

this is objective and any and all counterarguments are nullified by my gorilla army 🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍
I'm curious why you don't like 2nd gen swamp

I agree the volcano is a bit half-baked, especially compared to the old volcano, it's best feature is the stark contrast between day and night but it has basically no ambience during the daytime...

2nd gen swamp is definitely less pretty than the old swamp, but it's also so realistic that I enjoy it greatly, the ambience in the cave is great and the forest sections look just like the wilderness in the place I grew up that I can't possibly be mad at it
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
DrachenBuster
Greenhorn

Post by DrachenBuster »

Lutyrannus wrote: ↑Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:16 pm
DrachenBuster wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:43 pm im basing this strictly on the ps2 games, cuz i dont wanna think too hard

I agree the volcano is a bit half-baked, especially compared to the old volcano, it's best feature is the stark contrast between day and night but it has basically no ambience during the daytime...

2nd gen swamp is definitely less pretty than the old swamp, but it's also so realistic that I enjoy it greatly, the ambience in the cave is great and the forest sections look just like the wilderness in the place I grew up that I can't possibly be mad at it
I don't necessarily dislike the Gen 2 Swamp, I just find it very underwhelming having come after the Old Swamp. Like it's not BAD by any means, it's sorta just there. Doing things that the Old Swamp kinda already did, but less cool imo. I guess it has a connected cave system which is neat, and the poison pools are cool, but aside from that I kinda just don't really care for it much. 🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

DrachenBuster wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:09 am

I don't necessarily dislike the Gen 2 Swamp, I just find it very underwhelming having come after the Old Swamp. Like it's not BAD by any means, it's sorta just there. Doing things that the Old Swamp kinda already did, but less cool imo. I guess it has a connected cave system which is neat, and the poison pools are cool, but aside from that I kinda just don't really care for it much. 🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍
I can understand this perspective, but ultimately I disagree with it. I think the toxic sludge is probably the most unique day/night difference out of all the locales, because of how it changes how you play in more ways than just "now you can't travel this way" like the other locales. I think the grassy area is a joke compared to the old swamp's, because the old swamp's grassy marsh was peak atmosphere, but I think the devs knew that and as such didn't even try to usurp the original one, which is fair. I would have rather them just not have a long grass area though. I also think the caves are really cool with a great ambient track, but I don't like that it's the same in all the areas. It could easily have gotten more intense as you explore further in the cave, considering that the ambient track they used literally has a more intense version of itself on the sample CD they used. I also miss the errant, small caves that were in the old swamp, which are much more realistic in general, but you can't have it all, and the new swamp definitely has more engaging level design overall. I think the new swamp is, at worst, completely passable, and at best, a really good map that does a decent job following up its predecessor without just being a carbon copy of atmosphere.
DrachenBuster
Greenhorn

Post by DrachenBuster »

Lutyrannus wrote: ↑Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:47 am
DrachenBuster wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:09 am

I can understand this perspective, but ultimately I disagree with it. I think the toxic sludge is probably the most unique day/night difference out of all the locales, because of how it changes how you play in more ways than just "now you can't travel this way" like the other locales. I think the grassy area is a joke compared to the old swamp's, because the old swamp's grassy marsh was peak atmosphere, but I think the devs knew that and as such didn't even try to usurp the original one, which is fair. I would have rather them just not have a long grass area though. I also think the caves are really cool with a great ambient track, but I don't like that it's the same in all the areas. It could easily have gotten more intense as you explore further in the cave, considering that the ambient track they used literally has a more intense version of itself on the sample CD they used. I also miss the errant, small caves that were in the old swamp, which are much more realistic in general, but you can't have it all, and the new swamp definitely has more engaging level design overall. I think the new swamp is, at worst, completely passable, and at best, a really good map that does a decent job following up its predecessor without just being a carbon copy of atmosphere.
yea

Return to β€œTavern”