What are your PS2 MonHun hot takes?

A place to discuss anything related to the Monster Hunter universe, our project, or this forum itself (for example, suggestions). Please, for talks about specific games use the appropriate sections.
Lutyrannus

What are your PS2 MonHun hot takes?

Post by Lutyrannus »

See title. What's your spiciest, most unpopular opinion about these games?

I have... too many, lol. But I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
Berry
Greenhorn

Re: What are your PS2 MonHun hot takes?

Post by Berry »

MHG > MH1J
We drink Ritalin! | discogreninjafrog
2Tie

Post by 2Tie »

all of the monster hunter titles are good. the series never "lost its direction". minmaxing isn't required to get through the games and have a good time. yian garuga shall be slain in its intro hunt in portab-
Server dev // MUJI HR4 // MHG HR1 // MH2 HR0
98% of hunters have moved on to fifth gen. if you're part of the 2% who still play real action hunting games, copy this into your sig.
Stephan/Gukst
Greenhorn

Post by Stephan/Gukst »

PS2 MonHun mid af, liked some of the things MH2 did, that's it I think.
pepesito1
Ranger

Post by pepesito1 »

Mexican, eng/esp ok, 19 years old, huge xenoblade, ace attorney, half life and monster hunter nerd
In life there are hunters, and then there are monster hunters.
happycodemonkey
Greenhorn

Post by happycodemonkey »

the original control scheme is bad :P
MH1JP (gully): HR1, MHG (gully): HR1
hiromi
Greenhorn

Post by hiromi »

Everyone seems to love 4U, but to me gen 4 is when the series dropped off. Tons of mobility options, monster mounting and way oversaturated colours. The combat was still fun, but it started to feel more like cartoon boss rushing instead of a slow burn hunting series. It was the start of the minmax crit build meta approach too, with way too many attack skills that overshadow utility builds and fun experimentation.
Started with F2. Mostly play with friends ^^ (She/Her)
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

hiromi wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:43 pm Everyone seems to love 4U, but to me gen 4 is when the series dropped off. Tons of mobility options, monster mounting and way oversaturated colours. The combat was still fun, but it started to feel more like cartoon boss rushing instead of a slow burn hunting series. It was the start of the minmax crit build meta approach too, with way too many attack skills that overshadow utility builds and fun experimentation.
Not necessarily a PS2 hot take, but definitely a hot take, so I'll allow it for now :lol:
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
AmyRoxwell
Ranger

Post by AmyRoxwell »

Corner horning is actually fine and it can help you wins a lot more battles with the buffs without it
MH Dos Enjoyer (She/Her), trying to become a Master on all weapons,
Certified Member of the Navirou's Love Club
shamino
Greenhorn

Post by shamino »

Not even the interesting season rotation system that effects maps can save the awfulness of lottery gathering busywork loop.
Still surprises me how much they held onto this up until 5th generation,( which each classic gen past 2nd/portable remakes introducing some workaround in shape of farms that just alleviate but dont actually solve the core problem of gathering mechanics).
I think devs could've done better even working within the boundaries of the features they've made on classic games so far.

Return to “Tavern”