[DISCUSSION] Do you prefer 4:3 or 16:9 for PS2 Monster Hunter?

A place to discuss anything related to the Monster Hunter universe, our project, or this forum itself (for example, suggestions). Please, for talks about specific games use the appropriate sections.
Lutyrannus

[DISCUSSION] Do you prefer 4:3 or 16:9 for PS2 Monster Hunter?

Post by Lutyrannus »

I vastly prefer 4:3 for PS2 MonHun. It's, ya know, the aspect ratio the game was designed around. I know some of y'all are wide putins though, so please, I'd love to hear who is so I can block them, I mean, uh, respect their opinion.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
pepesito1
Ranger

Re: [DISCUSSION] Do you prefer 4:3 or 16:9 for PS2 Monster Hunter?

Post by pepesito1 »

anyone who changes the aspect ratio to something other than 4:3 is a crybaby that probably isnt also able to use joystick for attacking :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Mexican, eng/esp ok, 19 years old, huge xenoblade, ace attorney, half life and monster hunter nerd
In life there are hunters, and then there are monster hunters.
Adam
Ranger

Post by Adam »

Stuck on 16:9 until I get some more cash to buy a better upscaler, till then I'm using a semi cursed setup of a 16:9 patch that fixes everything but the hud.
MH1 - HR 20 | MHG - HR 30 | MH Dos - HR 200+ | MH Tri - HR 100+
MH3U - HR 70+ | MH 4U - HR 200+ | MH GU - HR 100+
MH World - HR 400+ | MH Rise - HR 850+
Xika
Greenhorn

Post by Xika »

I like to play 16:9 squished into 4:3 /j
AmyRoxwell
Ranger

Post by AmyRoxwell »

4:3 unless a proper 16:9 patch that scales the ui correctly is made.
MH Dos Enjoyer (She/Her), trying to become a Master on all weapons,
Certified Member of the Navirou's Love Club
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

AmyRoxwell wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:12 pm 4:3 unless a proper 16:9 patch that scales the ui correctly is made.
This may honestly be my take, assuming that for some reason I am not playing on real hardware. While I do prefer real hardware and playing in the context it was designed for, if I am playing on PC, and there's a patch that properly makes the game widescreen without settling, I would rather use that so I could become more properly immersed in it on a widescreen LCD display.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
AmyRoxwell
Ranger

Post by AmyRoxwell »

Lutyrannus wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:13 pm
AmyRoxwell wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:12 pm 4:3 unless a proper 16:9 patch that scales the ui correctly is made.
This may honestly be my take, assuming that for some reason I am not playing on real hardware. While I do prefer real hardware and playing in the context it was designed for, if I am playing on PC, and there's a patch that properly makes the game widescreen without settling, I would rather use that so I could become more properly immersed in it on a widescreen LCD display.
Due to that not existing yet, I'm currently playing in glorious 4:3 with black bars :D
MH Dos Enjoyer (She/Her), trying to become a Master on all weapons,
Certified Member of the Navirou's Love Club
Stephan/Gukst
Greenhorn

Post by Stephan/Gukst »

I was a filthy 16:9 player, then I was enlightened by 4:3. I have a 32:9 Monitor so I do black bar gaming big time
Seki

Post by Seki »

I'm not a fan of stretching video or images, so I'm going with 4:3. I never bothered with widescreen patches, because I'm not bothered by black bars.
But, hear me out: When I was still using my 16:10 monitor, I did stretch MH. Though the thing is: stretching 4:3 to 16:10 isn't much. The rhombus in the bottom right corner just looks like a square and text doesn't look wiiiideeee like in 16:9.

Return to “Tavern”