Theories or clues on who the Huntsman from MHW is?

Unleash your inner scholar and immerse yourself in the obscure lore of Monster Hunter!
Shupport
Greenhorn

Theories or clues on who the Huntsman from MHW is?

Post by Shupport »

The guy is definitely a veteran, that much is certain.
I'm just curious if anyone got a clue on who he is but I have heard theories that he was one of the old hunters shown in one of the older games cinematics (where in that one he was wielding a greatsword instead of a longsword.)

I personally like that theory a lot! But I don't know how plausible it would be since I'm not fully aware of the timeline in the MH universe (or if there even is one tbh.)
SHUPPORT on MH1JP/G , MHDOS, MHTRI , MHFRONTIERZ
POGMU & NANIKUSA on MHWORLDBORNE, MHRISEBREAK

GMT+8 time, low rank in all Shupport characters lol.
Lutyrannus

Re: Theories or clues on who the Huntsman from MHW is?

Post by Lutyrannus »

The opening that you're thinking of is for Portable 2nd G/Freedom Unite. The only reason to think that the Huntsman is that hunter is because they both where Rathian X armor, and I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the Huntsman talks about Nargacuga (or maybe it was Teostra?) being his rival, which is a 2nd gen monster. I personally don't know if I buy it. They may have chosen to give him Rathian X armor as a reference to that FMV, but I don't personally think that he is literally the same person.

Something a bit unrelated but also interesting is that his Japanese name isn't Huntsman - instead he's called "Swordmaster," a term which is eerily similar to the phrase "Blademaster," which makes sense given his proclivity for Blademaster armor.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
Shupport
Greenhorn

Post by Shupport »

Lutyrannus wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:19 pm The opening that you're thinking of is for Portable 2nd G/Freedom Unite. The only reason to think that the Huntsman is that hunter is because they both where Rathian X armor, and I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the Huntsman talks about Nargacuga (or maybe it was Teostra?) being his rival, which is a 2nd gen monster. I personally don't know if I buy it. They may have chosen to give him Rathian X armor as a reference to that FMV, but I don't personally think that he is literally the same person.

Something a bit unrelated but also interesting is that his Japanese name isn't Huntsman - instead he's called "Swordmaster," a term which is eerily similar to the phrase "Blademaster," which makes sense given his proclivity for Blademaster armor.
It was Teostra who was his rival!
But also that's very interesting that his JP name is Swordsmaster. I think it would have been okay to keep that in the EN translation of the game, but I guess "Huntsman" just sounded cooler to the translators?
SHUPPORT on MH1JP/G , MHDOS, MHTRI , MHFRONTIERZ
POGMU & NANIKUSA on MHWORLDBORNE, MHRISEBREAK

GMT+8 time, low rank in all Shupport characters lol.
Lutyrannus

Post by Lutyrannus »

Shupport wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:53 pm It was Teostra who was his rival!
But also that's very interesting that his JP name is Swordsmaster. I think it would have been okay to keep that in the EN translation of the game, but I guess "Huntsman" just sounded cooler to the translators?
Most character in 3rd gen and later have different names in English than in Japanese. "The Man" from MH4U is just called the "Head Processor" in the Japanese version. "His Immenseness" is also called "The Great Elder" in Japanese. It's very common for the characters to have different names in different languages.
Welcome to the world of Monster Hunter. Lunae ~ Loremaster. Blademaster. Grandmaster.
Shrek
Greenhorn

Post by Shrek »

I played MHFU as my first game and as mentioned above, the hunter from the intro sequence there is wearing the same Rath armor, so I just imagine that the Huntsman is my guy from 2nd gen, cause I liked to play longsword.

Return to “Lore”