Monster Hunter... AS THE MONSTERS

A place to discuss anything related to the Monster Hunter universe, our project, or this forum itself (for example, suggestions). Please, for talks about specific games use the appropriate sections.
Risky(Glyph)
Greenhorn

Monster Hunter... AS THE MONSTERS

Post by Risky(Glyph) »

I've thought about this a ton for as long as this series has been around - what if you could play AS the monsters???

The possibilities are endless!

---

It could be very similar to "normal" MH, where you gradually expand your strength and abilities to take on greater and greater threats. Like in MH1, where the first 2 star levels don't even have you fighting almost anything, you would start out just hunting other monsters or gathering. Maybe play as a Mosswine pigging out on mushrooms, or a Kelbi dashing through an open field (avoiding swooping Rathalos and beginning hunters).

After getting used to the basics, you could play a Velociprey or a Jaggi in a pack, hunting large herbivores that can take you out with a swing or two of their tail. Maybe you could upgrade your fangs and claws and unlock a Velocidrome, or branch out into an effect monster like Genprey. After enough experience, you could control a Pukei-Pukei as it fights an intermediate hunter or two. After progressing through larger monsters and greater challenges, the end of the game would have you play a Lao Shan Lung plowing through dozens of hunters on its way to crush a fortress - or maybe you could hunt Zorah Magdaros as Nergigante!

As many... ISSUES as it had, Evolve had a lot of potential at some points, I truly believe. Obviously since it's MH it'd be more cooperative than a 1v4, but maybe such a mode could be fun too.

OR it could be something completely different! Like a Monster Hunter dating sim, or a murder-mystery, or Monster Hunter tetris, or or or

---

Anyways, what are your thoughts? Would you have any interest in something like that? Or would it be terrible, horrible, stupid stupid STUPID???
Risky/Glyph/riskyglyph
28, she/they/he

yursk
Greenhorn

Re: Monster Hunter... AS THE MONSTERS

Post by yursk »

I can imagine a rts about this :lol:
MH1: Yursk-HR: 20 (ID: 5P3DHL) / MHG: Menia-HR: 5 (ID: G06NTQ) / MH2: Rynx-HR: 1 (ID: RT2XHH) / MH3: Yursk-HR: 1 (ID: Z0ZCBC)
Spanish/English/Learning Swedish hehe
Rune
Greenhorn

Post by Rune »

since i played a lot of Spore when i was little, i support any game idea about becoming a big bastard who eats smaller bastards. escalating in power as you move up the food chain is very satisfying and i think it has potential in the monster hunter setting since it has such an ecological bent.

evolve always looked neat, i'm a bit sad i missed the boat on it (although from what i've heard, i probably would have been disappointed :/)
i was at pax prime the year they had the big evolve statue, it was sick (pic related)

MH1 HR20
they/them
mi wile toki pona
Excylis
Greenhorn

Post by Excylis »

Hmmm.... 1v4 Asymmetrical multiplayer where one player plays a monster?
Risky(Glyph)
Greenhorn

Post by Risky(Glyph) »

since i played a lot of Spore
I was so disappointed with Spore. It's a perfectly fine game, but my child brain blew it up into this impossible evolution/galactic conquest simulator that I still wish someone would make. The desire to make something truly alien but perfectly functional isn't quite satisfied with the Sims-like creature creator (though it does let you create Shrek, and is therefore perfekt).

I liked Evolve for what it was, but it never really lived up to its potential either (and had a bunch of scandals, I think). But nothing else really scratches the itch of, as you say, becoming a big bastard who eats smaller bastards!

In my opinion it's really just about setting/flavor. In Monster Hunter you're a GOD OF DEATH who kills and eats THOUSANDS of creatures. Are you really any different from the likes of the destructive monsters you fight?
Risky/Glyph/riskyglyph
28, she/they/he

Draculestia
Greenhorn

Post by Draculestia »

Risky(Glyph) wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:23 am I've thought about this a ton for as long as this series has been around - what if you could play AS the monsters???
I'd say everyone has thought about that at some point, including Capcom, and I think they've experimented with ways of doing that for a while now. The first example would be Stories, and then you have the mounting system of Rise where you control a monster to hit other monsters. It shows that Capcom still wants hunters to be involved in a monster vs monster scenario, but I would be interested in a series where the hunter isn't involved at all, for sure. That would be a lot more interesting than what they're doing in 5th gen, anyway.
Risky(Glyph)
Greenhorn

Post by Risky(Glyph) »

Draculestia wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:23 am
Risky(Glyph) wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:23 am I've thought about this a ton for as long as this series has been around - what if you could play AS the monsters???
I'd say everyone has thought about that at some point, including Capcom, and I think they've experimented with ways of doing that for a while now.
8-) That's not physically possible, this thought is completely, 100% original and uninspired by anything else - I actually INVENTED Monster Hunter and my DAD works at Capcom.

Draculestia wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:23 am The first example would be Stories, and then you have the mounting system of Rise where you control a monster to hit other monsters. It shows that Capcom still wants hunters to be involved in a monster vs monster scenario, but I would be interested in a series where the hunter isn't involved at all, for sure. That would be a lot more interesting than what they're doing in 5th gen, anyway.
I think there's hesitation because "how could people sympathize with a monster???" and even considering the idea that all the monsters killed across the series had lives and agency and maybe even feelings is uncomfortable for some (I might also just be stupid and completely making something up, as I already did when I invented this franchise in a stroke of genius).
Risky/Glyph/riskyglyph
28, she/they/he

Jurther
Greenhorn

Post by Jurther »

Konchu would be OP. One single Konchu can destroy a full team of hunters thanks to his amazing trolling techniques.
I started in Kokoto, and trained in Pokke, now I work for Minegarde and Dundorma!

Forgotten MH Discord: https://discord.gg/UsN72pQ8zN
Shincry
Greenhorn

Post by Shincry »

It would be cool to at least see something like this in the future.

Sadly it seems like they won't use resources on it...
PET THE POOGIE

Return to “Tavern”